Monday, April 08, 2013

Winning Words 4/8/13
“Anything’s within walking distance, if you have enough time.”  (Steven Wright)  In 1977, Canadian athlete, Terry Fox, lost his leg to cancer.  He determined that some day he would run across Canada to raise funds for cancer research.  The run began in 1980, in Newfoundland.  26 miles a day.  But he ran out of time and died in Thunder Bay, after 143 days and 3339 miles and raising $500 M.  Terry delivered the message.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I love Steven Wright and I admired Terry.  It's wonderful to be so committed.  Whether committed to making someone laugh or earning money for cancer cures.  What are you committed to?////JACK: I guess I'm committed to trying to be a positive voice where there is negativity.

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  In our travels we have stopped at the memorial to Terry Fox on the Trans Canada hiway outside of thunder Bay.  I was moved by the words of the memorial.////JACK:  I've seen pictures of the memorials, but have not been able to retrieve the wording, but, important is the memory of what he did.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  there is a bronze statue  of Terry Fox along the hiway just outside of Thunder Bay.  we have stopped there a couple of times in our travels.  quite a tribute to his character and determination. ////JACK:  Many people have stopped to see that memorial, because many have been inspired by what Terry did.

 FROM ED IN ARIZONA:  Ha! I love Steven Wright. "I bought some powdered water, but i didn't know what to add"////JACK:  Part of his repertoire are paraprosdokians.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Tomorrow is my one year Fataversary, I just pulled up my spread sheet and looked when I saw this post. My cause is not as grand as cancer, but just to become more fit.  I have logged an average 4.3 miles per day walking, waddling, and rarely jogging. That's 1569 miles over the year. I have done 12,460 push-ups (34.4 a day average-I started I could only do 8).  I expect push-ups to be 20K plus this year and miles about the same.  My steps are tracked electronically by fitbit.com (I would probably estimate in my favor).  Time is the thing and bit by bit, as Jack says.  Oh yeah, down 53 pounds and blood pressure medicine cut 80 percent. Life is good.////JACK:  Congratulations!  Maybe you should start raising funds for research of heart problems.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  sad like.////JACK:  Terry took the bad and turned it into something good.  He died doing what he wanted to do.  If that happened to you or me...would it be sad?

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Heroic efforts are driven by inner forces sometimes too complicated for mortal man to comprehend.////JACK:  A survey named Terry Fox Canada's Greatest Hero.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'D SAY 500 MILLION WITH THE TIME HE HAD, WAS SPECTACULAR.  HOW HUMBLING THAT HE THOUGHT OF EVERYONE BUT HIMSELF WHEN HE WAS FIGHTING CANCER. MY WALKS ARE SHORT INDEED ANYMORE, EVEN ON THE GOLF COURSE; FRIDAY WILL MARK MY 83RD ANNIVWERSARY ON THIS EARTH!  BUT OF COURSE THE  QUOTE IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, IF YOU CAN PERSERVERE!! HERE'S TO MAKING OUR "WALK" COUNT FOR SOMETHING THAT WILL OUTLAST IT!////JACK:  I remember (when I was younger) trying see how fast I could play a round of golf.  I ran from hole to hole.  I didn't keep track of the score, but it was lots of fun.  I should try it again...sometime.

 FROM WALMART REV:  Very interesting story...was that $500 million?////JACK:  Yes...and the fund keeps growing.  The meaning of the quote is that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!   In my Children's Message on Sunday, I taught them how to say, "omnopotent" and the meaning of the word."

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  During a Circle Tour of Lake Superior many years ago, I saw the statue of Terry Fox in Thunder Bay, Ontario within sight of Lake Superior.  It is impressive.  I wish I could recall the inscription, and more so, I wish I knew where my pictures are of the statue and the inscription.////JACK:  I tried to Google the inscription, but couldn't find it.  I guess I'll have to drive to Thunder Bay.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  I am slowly but surely getting back into my walking groove - after taking almost 2 yrs off! About 4 - 5 miles, 5 days/week! There is so much to see around here, and we are so lucky to have the lakes to walk around, and the WB trail - newly extended from Arrowhead to Haggerty! Want to know how many snakes I've seen so far (& how I reacted)???////JACK:  Did you know that West Bloomfield is a habitat for rattlesnakes.  Be on the lookout!

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  There was an article in our newspaper last Sunday of a 49 year old woman who walked around Lake Michigan – now has walked the shore of  Lakes Huron and Erie.    She said she does it to be alone in God’s world . . . and it is accomplished one step after another.====JACK:  Your response reminds me of the old Gospel song:  "Trying to Walk in the Steps of the Savior."



No comments: