Monday, April 22, 2013

Winning Words 4/22/13
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”  (C.S. Lewis)  I read recently that Douglas MacArthur kept a poem in his office which described  “How to Stay Young.”  Paraphrasing: Youth is not an age, it’s a state of mind.  People grow old by deserting their ideals.  You are as young as your hope and as old as your despair.  Dr. Oz says that your real age and your actual age often are not the same.  True?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM TS VISITING IN ILLINOIS:  I particularly enjoyed your words this morning, and all of your distinguished references.////JACK:  Do you ever read the distinguished Dr. Oz?

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I don't mind being old...I am loving these years...and still have dreams, goals and aspirations.////JACK:  Do you feel that you are more, or less, of a curmudgeon as you age?////JOHN:  I am more of a Troll...lie to grab folks from under the bridge.////JACK:  I've read that "Scandinavian trolls tend to be very big, hairy, stupid, and slow to act. Any human with courage and presence of mind can outwit a troll. They are said to have a temperament like a bear- which are, ironically, their favorite pets- good-natured when they are left in peace, and savage when they are teased. Trolls live throughout the land, dwelling under bridges."

 FROM CS IN WISCONSIN:  What an appropriate quote for today – Bob’s 70th birthday.  He certainly doesn’t act his age!  He’s already been at the pool swimming for an hour, will probably ride his bike for an hour in the basement and maybe take a couple walks about town for an hour or more today.  This is his normal routine.  Some of those trips to town involve stopping to have coffee with friends.  Party time tonight with family and friends – if we don’t get snowed out.  Predictions are for another 6-10” of snow tonight. ////JACK:  Sunny and 60 degrees here in Michigan.  No swimming.  No biking.  No walk-a-bout.  But there will be coffee and a jaunt to the ballpark to watch my grandson play baseball.

FROM WATERFORD JAN:  I'm glad it was your sump pump and not your cardiac pump.  It made my pulse jump when there was no jackswinningwords.////JACK:  Do you remember this old hymn?
 Some day the silver cord (cardiac pump) will break  (for each of us),
And I no more as now shall sing;
But, O the joy when I shall wake
Within the presence of the King!
////JAN:  I never imagined what the silver cord was.  That image is more personal, and powerful.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  LOVED THESE WW FROM A MASTER OF WORDS!  IT'S NOT THE  YEARS IN YOUR LIFE, BUT THE LIFE IN YOUR YEARS, EH WHAT?!  TOTALLY AGREE. "TO BE WHAT WE ARE, AND BECOME WHAT WE ARE CAPABLE OF BECOMING IS THE ONLY END OF LIFE"   (BARUCH SPINOZA, Forbes.com)  I'M OFF TO MY FIRST ROUND OF GOLF ON A BEAUTIFUL SPRING DAY, WITH THE GOAL  OF MAKING IT THROUGH 18 HOLES!!! YIKES!////JACK:  I remember playing on the putt-putt course in Moline.  I didn't know that you had one in your neighborhood.

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  Have you done the RealAge quiz online?  It’s great – fun – and I think has some merit.  Lifestyle choices and genetics play a big part in our longevity and quality of life.  You’re fortunate to have gram's tough genes!////JACK:  I don't have Levi jeans.  "Comfort-fit" feels better.

FROM CPA BOB:  My mother often was willing to try something new, although her passion was bridge, which she was teaching up to the day she died at 92.  But the thing that seemed to be the most fun for her in her last couple years was playing poker, which she first learned when she was 90.////JACK:  My mother was also a bridge and poker player, but rummy, crazy-eights and Old Maid were the only card games I knew.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  The real trick is to never grow up. Look with "wonderment" on everything.////JACK:  Bette Davis said it.  "Old age isn't for sissies."  Do you remember when a favorite taunt was..."You're a sissy?"

FROM DONNA THE BADGER:  You Jack, are one of the "youngest" people I know. ;o)////JACK:  One of my favorite baseball players was Satchel Paige who said, "Don't look back.  Something might be gaining on you."  I try to keep looking ahead, with an occasional backward glance.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  And Mark Twain says that age in an issue of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. I think that you just have to keep exercising your body and your mind.  My news project, given to me by my youngest grandson (8} is to take Flat Stanley  with me for a week and to record what we do.  It should be an interesting week.////JACK:  So...I had to look up Flat Stanley...and discovered that he came from the mind of a 3rd Grade Canadian teacher who encouraged pupils to take Stanley with them and to write about where they went.  The purpose was to facilitate letter-writing.  You probably knew that.  I didn't!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There is a book out, "Orphan Train", which I just finished reading.  My great grandfather was on an orphan train.  I'm sure my great grandfather had a lot of dreams and I wonder if they were ever reached.  It will be a new goal to find out about him.////JACK:  My short-term goal is to Google "Orphan Train."  I haven't heard of it.













No comments: