Monday, March 25, 2013

Winning Words 3/25/13
“Passover and Easter are Jewish and Christian holidays that move in sync, like ice skating pairs.”  (Marvin Olasky)  Certain things just seem to go together, like Meryl Davis and Charlie White, peanut butter and jelly, Adam and Eve.  Those seeming to be opposites can work together to bring about something new.  Passover helps give meaning to Easter, and Easter adds a dimension to Passover…a kind of yin and yang.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TRIHARDER IN MICHIGAN:  Yes, the "last supper" was a Passover Seder.  (I was born on the night of the second seder)   I saw "The Book of Mormon" last night.  Very funny, but very offensive -- in many ways.  I guess I could laugh because they weren't making fun of Jews.  ... or could I?  I talked about that on my way home.   The concept of finding religious tablets in upstate New York that depict an ancient tribe of Jews coming from the middle east by boat is a bit far-fetched.  But is it any more far-fetched than a sea splitting in half? Or an arc full of pairs of every animal?   I guess that's why they call it "faith"////JACK:  I once visited that New York "hill," and tried to visualize the tablet and spectacles story.  I suppose, like you say,  there are other "faith" stories that seem far-fetched.  Like one of my professors used to say, "You can't find G-d at the end of a logical syllogism." 

FROM DR JUDY IN MICHIGAN:  Yes indeed! Wish you were free to join us for our Passover meal  tonite. Would have been fun.////JACK:  I haven't heard a Passover meal described as "fun," but I guess that there's nothing wrong with making faith experiences fun.  Didn't Sarah "laugh" when the angel announced that she was going to have a baby...when she was in her 90s?

 FROM WALMART REV:  ...like a good Lutheran pastor and a new energetic Assemblies of God pastor desiring to start a new church in West Bloomfield, MI becoming friends and laboring together reaching folk for God's Kingdom on earth? Always grateful-////JACK:  In spite of what some people think, I don't believe that there will religious segregation in Heaven.

 FROM HY YO SILVER:  True  I'll think of that tonight when I re-enact the Last Supper!////JACK:  I admire anyone who tries to add meaning to their religious belief..

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  we are all organically ever-connected.  why is it hard for some to "see"? ////JACK:  "They have mouths, but cannot speak,  eyes, but cannot see. They have ears, but cannot hear,
noses, but cannot smell  They have hands, but cannot feel,  feet, but cannot walk, nor can they utter a sound with their throats"   (Psalm 115:5-7)

 FROM INDIE GENIE:  Love this one!!!////JACK:  I love both the Passover story and the Easter story.  Both of them show the love of God.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I thought that the Christian version of Easter was infused into the Gentile culture as a replacement for the pagan god of fertility (Eshtar) and its related rituals with the redirected reference to the eternal victory of Life over Death (Passover) by virtue of the One true God -- as in the blood of Christ, the sacrificial blood of the Lamb of God and Pascal Lamb, placing His blood upon the threshold of our souls (instead of the thresholds of our earthly dwellings) which serves as a protection from Death itself (Passover). Also, Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection occurred during the Jewish Holy Passover season -- which couldn't have been a mere coincidence could it? In my way of thinking, Easter is Passover.
Just as the Passover ritual served as protection from the spirit of death and provided those who followed the instructions of God entry into the Promised Land, so does the fulfillment of God's promise through Christ's blood serve the same entry into Heaven (Promised Land) for those who believe in the Christ and, as a result of such belief, follow the instructions of Christ.  Both Christians and Jews believe in Jesus; their understanding of Him differs. Passover is much the same -- our understanding of it differs. As Jesus said, "...I have come to fulfill the law", and it seems to me that Jesus' resurrection is the ultimate fulfillment. Am I just confused about all this? ////JACK:  I think that it was t5he great theologian Karl Barth who was asked to explain the basis of this faith, and he replied: "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."   It's good to know some of the complexities of theology, but it's also good to know that the knowledge of God is more than words.  

 FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  davis & white! best since torville & dean.  the last supper was a passover seder.  . my daughter goes to seder w/her dad & pals tonite & tmrw, then we will make something delish at my dad's on sunday. happy easter!////JACK:  You've given a good example of how things can work out.








1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

I thought that the Christian version of Easter was infused into the Gentile culture as a replacement for the pagan god of fertility (Eshtar) and its related rituals with the redirected reference to the eternal victory of Life over Death (Passover) by virtue of the One true God -- as in the blood of Christ, the sacraficial blood of the Lamb of God and Pascal Lamb, placing His blood upon the threshhold of our souls (instead of the thresholds of our earthly dwellings) which serves as a protection from Death itself (Passover). Also, Jesus' crucifixion and resurrection occurred during the Jewish Holy Passover season -- which couldn't have been a mere coincidence could it? In my way of thinking, Easter is Passover.

Just as the Passover ritual served as protection from the spirit of death and provided those who followed the instructions of God entry into the Promised Land, so does the fulfillment of God's promise through Christ's blood serve the same entry into Heaven (Promised Land) for those who believe in the Christ and, as a result of such belief, follow the instructions of Christ.

Both Christians and Jews believe in Jesus; their understanding of Him differs. Passover is much the same -- our understanding of it differs. As Jesus said, "...I have come to fulfill the law", and it seems to me that Jesus' resurrection is the ultimate fulfillment. Am I just confused about all this?