Thursday, February 07, 2013

Winning Words 2/7/13
“If we used our two ears and our one mouth in the same ratio we had them, we would be better off.”  (Gen. David Rodriguez)  Gen. R is awaiting confirmation to be head of the US Africa Command (the next hot-spot for the War on Terror).  He’s seen as a leader who can process opposing views and come to the best conclusion.  He uses two ears and one mouth.  If you’re looking for success, follow his example.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WALMART REV:  Back in Bible College...someone once said I "was all mouth"...the other day, with very little now, I noticed how big my ears are...maybe my ears have taken on more wisdom over the years...I would like to think so anyway.////JACK:  Our appearance changes over the years.  At a Bible College reunion, classmates might not recognize you, with your bigger ears and smaller mouth.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, this is an extraordinary WW showing the brilliance of how our bodies are designed--being as the two ears seem to be parallel on both sides of the head, and facing "outwards" in two different directions and then the mouth is downward and in the middle (in a position where mediation might exist) and also lower from the brain and maybe in a position where some emotional and rational "distance" from the thing being considered might exist.////JACK:  I've heard that some people have eyes in the back of their head.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  OH YES! THAT IS A SAGACIOUS QUOTE!!  GEN RODRIGUEZ WOULD SEEM TO BE A WISE MAN.  WOULDN'T WE ALL BE BETTER FOR FOLLOWING THIS MANTRA: LISTEN TWICE AS LONG AND HARD AS SPEAKING....AS I READ RECENTLY, "GOSSIP IS LIKE A NASTY VIRUS. IF YOU LEARN TO COVER YOUR MOUTH, YOU WON'T SPREAD THE GERMS". OR MAYBE REFRAINING FROM THE TEMPTATION TO GIVE EVERYONE THE BENEFIT OF YOUR EXCELLENT WISDOM!! ////JACK:  I haven't heard or seen the word, sagacious, in a long time.  I read more about the General in a Newsweek article.  He is human.  BTW, Newsweek now arrives on the computer, since there is no longer a print edition.  Events in Africa will be in the news, and you should be able to relate, because of the time you spent there.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  hope he uses his hand to carry a big stick...////JACK:  There's so much about Africa that we don't understand.  It was only recently that I learned where Timbuktu was located.  "From here to Timbuktu" is an expression that I've heard since I was a child.  I never bothered to ask, "What does that mean...and where is Timbuktu?"

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Hopefully the rest will shut their mouths and use their ears and let him do his job.////JACK:  The General's confirmation hearing has yet to take place.  I hope that it doesn't become a political tug of war.

 FROM CA IN MICHIGAN:  Thanks again for such a sterling bit of advice. It is one I must practice MORE !////JACK:  One of the songs I enjoy singing (especially at synod gatherings is this traditional song from Tanzania..."Listen, listen, God is calling  through the Word inviting,  offering forgiveness,  comfort and joy."  Sometimes at synod meetings we do more talking than listening and observing.  As a relief, I enjoy stopping by at "your" table.

 FROM MOLINER JT:  One of the best suggestions in years.////JACK:  Do remember this one about misunderstanding God?
When God passed out ears,
I thought He said beers, and I asked for two big ones.
When God passed out noses,
I thought He said roses, and I asked for a big red one.
When God passed out heads,
I thought He said beds, and I asked for a big soft one.
When God passed out looks,
I thought He said books, and I didn't want any.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Very good advice.  One of my new classes this semester is Conversations about the American Dream. The class is very interesting. Most of the students are from Illinois and Ohio, it seems, and they tell their stories very succinctly. Most agree that they have lived the dream.////JACK:  I keep a journal of my most interesting dreams.  Some of them are really weird.  What does that say about me?






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this is an extraordinary WW showing the brilliance of how our bodies are designed--being as the two ears seem to be parallel on both sides of the head, and facing "outwards" in two different directions and then the mouth is downward and in the middle (in a position where mediation might exist) and also lower from the brain and maybe in a position where some emotional and rational "distance" from the thing being considered might exist. I'm just in kind of awe here at the computer and hope my admiration of God's design isn't too wordy here.
Glad the General has found the best way to make use of his head, serving our government and we the people.
S.H. in MI