Monday, January 28, 2013

Winning Words 1/28/13
“It’s easy to sit up and take notice.  What is difficult is getting up and taking action.”  (Honore de Balzac)  I have a saying posted by my computer, “Get Tough…Get Off Your Duff.”  The slogan was probably meant to urge sales people to get out and make calls.  If you want to accomplish something, stop procrastinating!  BTW, do you remember Balzac being mentioned by Eulalie Shinn in “The Music Man?”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM JUD-EE IN MICHIGAN:  YOU remind me of one of my favorite sayings, "if you rest, you rust." You are always tough and off of your duff doing something.  Thanks for the inspirations!  Had to get up and take action at 4:50 today for a work-connected issue.////JACK:  The boss likes someone who, when given a job, just does it, simply because it needs doing.  Have you ever read, "A Message to Garcia?"

 FROM WALMART REV:  I'm getting ready now to do the same, “Get Tough…Get Off My Duff.”  Let's see what God has in store for you and me this brand new day, never lived in before!!////JACK:  I suppose you'll soon be taking your duff to Walmart for another day of conversation.  BTW, I wonder why some old guys are called, duffers?  I'll have to look it up.////REV:  Lunch at Wal-Mart/Subway most everyday for their salad bowl w/ turkey...always working to keep my weight off...doesn't "duffer" have something to do with the game of golf?////JACK:  "Duffer" has several meanings....an incompetent golfer....and an old guy who sits at Wal-Mart every day eating a turkey salad bowl.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Take notice. The Procrastinator Society's annual meeting has be postponed . Balzac couldn't make it.////JACK:  Here's something to hang on your wall.
  TEN COMMANDMENTS OF THE PROCRASTINATOR'S SOCIETY
1.I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.
2.I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.
3.I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.
4.I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.
5.I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.
6.I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.
7.I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.
8.If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.
9.I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.
10.I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! I PERFORMED EULALIE McKECKNIE  SCHINN IN "THE MUSIC MAN" AND YES,  SHE IS TELLING  THE NEWCOMER IN TOWN ABOUT  THE RICH OLD MAN  WHO LEFT HIS MONEY TO THE LIBRARY BECAUSE MARION THE LIBRARIAN BEFRIENDED HIM, ..FORBIDDEN BOOKS LIK BALZAC, ETC.PICK-A-LITTLE-TALK-A-LITTLE, PICK-A-LITTLE-, TALK-A LITTLE-PICK-PICK-PICK PICK, TLK-TALK-TALK...MORE FUN.   I HAD TO TALK MYSELF INTO GETTING OFF MY DUFF TODAY, AND START TAKING COMMUNION TO SHUT-INS,  BUT I'M GLAD I DID!  HAD SOME NICE VISITS!!////JACK:  There are some people who just seem to fit certain characters.  That's what acting is all about.  What other parts have you played?  I have been in only one play in my lifetime...and that was in 6th Grade. 






No comments: