Thursday, November 08, 2012

Winning Words 11/8/12
“Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.”  (Guillaume Apollinaire)  I remember when Bobby McFerrin’s song, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” was popular.  I couldn’t get it out of my head.  I even preached a sermon with that title.  The song was based on a quote by the Indian mystic, Meher Baba.  He was responding to the drug culture which was looking for happiness in pills.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM JACK:  I just came across this one.  "Happiness is an inside job."  (William Arthur Ward)

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  sometimes we get so caught up in the quest for happiness that we take no time to experience the the happiness we already possess.////FROM JACK:  Your song for today..."If you're happy, and you know it...clap your hands etc."

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Happiness is a state of being. Pleasure is a result of action. Quite often the two do not meet.////FROM JACK:  Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, happiness/pleasure is in the mind of those those who feel it.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  One of my favorite "happiness songs" is Zippedy-do-dah. Like you, it sticks all day sometimes.////FROM JACK:  You've still got that ZIP!  Of course that word have several meanings.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  If I pursue happiness for myself seems like it's hard to be happy, the goal is so illusive, but when I live purposefully wanting to help others be happy, I get happy also in the process. I guess it's a sort of a understanding of the Declaration of Independence--the pursuit of happiness--and what President Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." Feeling happy today.////FROM JACK:  I wonder what happiness Thomas Jefferson had in mind when he wrote those words...the pursuit of happiness?

 FROM "SAINT" JUDY:  "Just Put on a Happy Face"..."Forget all your troubles and get happy".  Great thoughts and a great idea.////FROM JACK:  I like the way Dick Van Dyke sings "Put On a Happy Face."  He's got the face for it, too.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I remember you preaching on that song!////FROM JACK:  Here are the words to the song.  And after them is a link (from a friend) that I think you will enjoy.
Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Lood at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy

THE LINK:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgvJg7D6Qck
 

2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Happiness is a state of being. Pleasure is a result of action. Quite often the two do not meet.

Anonymous said...

If I pursue happiness for myself seems like it's hard to be happy, the goal is so alusive, but when I live purposefully wanting to help others be happy, I get happy also in the process. I guess it's a sort of a understanding of the Declaration of Independence--the pursuit of happiness--and what President Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country." Feeling happy today.
S.H. in MI