Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Winning Words 11/27/12
“Beauty ain’t pretty.”  (Bette Midler)  This quote made me wonder,  “What is beauty?”  The awards often go to the “pretty” ones.  In high school Bette was voted “the most talkative.”  Her singing voice is kind of brash, but her rendition of “The Rose,” is truly beautiful.  She’s won Grammys, Emmys, Tonys, but no Miss America.  Who are the beautiful people in your life?  How does pretty differ from beauty?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, this past Thanksgiving, with some real quality family time sorting out things there are some real beautiful people in my life who are so intense in love and caring that sometimes, in the times when we let each other down, it hurts. Beauty can include the hurtin' and still be meaningful, in my opinion pretty usually doesn't or can't because it's more just what you see on the surface of things. Interesting quote to think about. I think Bette Midler is beautiful.////FROM JACK:  I think that the saying should be changed to read: "Pretty is skin deep."

 FROM WALMART REV:  Not too many Bette's in my life . . . but a whole lot of just "plain-down-to-earth" good people that inspire me each day!////FROM JACK:  Perhaps you are the Bette in someone else's life.

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I think "pretty" is a description of some thing, while "beauty" is more of a state of being. ////FROM JACK:  Pretty is in the eye of the beholder.  So is beauty.

 FROM RS IN TEXAS:  My first reaction would be that pretty is outer and beauty is inner.  Also, pretty can fade, but true beauty does not.////FROM JACK:  Perhaps pretty also don't fade, but just changes with the the age.  There are pretty babies, pretty children, pretty teens, pretty adults and pretty aged, too.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There are so many beautiful things in the world for us to view...the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, Sleeping Bear Dunes, the Upper Peninsula, the oceans, etc etc etc.  But there are equally beautiful things that aren't quite beautiful.  I know I have mentioned my grandma many times in responding to your Winning Words, but she was beautiful.  Not in the "beauty" sense of the word, because she had a very crooked eye from falling out of a highchair as an infant.  True beauty transcends the facial features.////FROM JACK:  One of the best episodes of The Twilight Zone TV series was titled, "The Eye of the Beholder."  Google it, if you don't remember seeing it.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  What is beauty? Truth.////FROM JACK:  What is truth?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I LOVE Bette Midler (with Lily Tomlin) in the movie BIG BUSINESS...JUST HILARIOUS! I'll have to get it out and watch it again now! In the movie they are twins...I've often heard that someone is "beautiful, inside and out" but never that someone is "pretty, inside and out"...Beauty seems to have a depth that pretty does not have. (I'd be happy to be described as either! :-)  It often takes awhile to discern the beauty within a person, but that kind of beauty wears well throughout life!! I think we all strive toward inner beauty! Sweetness, gentleness, compassion, warmth, unselfishness, encouraging, enthusiastic, and so on.////FROM JACK:  Phyllis Diller, Margaret Cho, Carol Burnett, Imogene Coca, Rosanne Barr .... Are there any pretty comediennes?////BO:  Mary Tyler Moore was pretty...most are at least attractive, which is probably one step below pretty or beautiful...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this past Thanksgiving, with some real quality family time sorting out things there are some real beautiful people in my life who are so intense in love and caring that sometimes, in the times when we let each other down, it hurts. Beauty can include the hurtin' and still be meaningful, in my opinion pretty usually doesn't or can't because it's more just what you see on the surface of things. Interesting quote to think about. I think Bette Midler is beautiful.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

I think "pretty" is a description of some thing, while "beauty" is more of a state of being.