Monday, November 26, 2012

Winning Words 11/26/12
“A hug is a great gift.  One size fits all, and it’s easy to exchange.”  (Unknown)  Recently I reached out to shake hands with someone I hadn’t seen in a long time.  Instead of shaking hands the person said, “How about a hug?”  Even though I’m not much of a hugger, it felt like the right thing to do.  I’ve noticed that more people at church are “passing the peace” with a hug.  Whatever brings peace is OK by me.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  Within the contemporary context of impersonal relationships involving such things as on-line dating, incessant texting, a plethora of reality shows, and other similar examples of intimacy avoidances, it is nice to know that hugging is expanding in popularity. There is nothing like the human touch! ////FROM JACK:  Since there is situational ethics, I guess there's room for situational hugging, too.

 FROM WALMART REV:  Good morning, Jack! I'm reminded this morning of a time when I came across a church bulletin from a church in Denver, CO that instituted a ministry called,  H. U. G. S.  From that I developed my outreach ministry that brought me to Willmar, MN. I began working with folk in the congregation to present Host, Ushers, Greeters and Senders to those worshipping each week. I, in turn, followed up and assimilated the visiting guests into the ministry of the church. It all began with HUGS! ////FROM JACK:  I'm not surprised.  You seem to be the "hugger" type.  That's good.

 FROM HY YO SILVER:  Guilty as charged!  You are deserving of an embrace.////FROM JACK:  I think that hugging is a learned experience.  We never were much of a family for physical hugging, but the thought was there.

 FROM KB IN MICHIGAN:  I am a hugger and I love this WW.////FROM JACK:  I'll try to remember that.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There is nothing so special as a genuine hug from a child, a friend and someone we love.  Thank you!  I would give you a hug if I could!////FROM JACK:  I'll take it.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Actually, my Dad was a handshaker, even of me, and knowing how reticent he was about sharing his feelings, somehow even when we were shaking hands, our eyes said a lot more to each other. His handshaking, eye-looking will always continue to warm my heart.////FROM JACK:  There's nothing wrong with hand shaking, nor looking into another's eyes.  Some say that the eyes are the windows into a person's soul.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  I'm a hugger : )////FROM JACK:  There's a song called, The Hug Song.
Doctor Dan, he's a friendly man, big and round like a bear
He hugs his friends, they hug him - any time, anywhere
Now the patients came for therapy to drive their blues away
And sooner or later they would feel better when they heard Dan say
 I wanna hug when you say hello
I wanna hug when it's time to go
I wanna hug because everyone knows
Hugging is good for you
I wanna hug, it's a wonderful feeling
Wanna hug, it helps with (it's part of) the healing
Wanna hug, because hugging feels
Like a natural thing to do

 FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  We have visited lots of churches, and I feel very reserved about hugs during "passing the peace" from strangers.  But I'm finally feeling  more open to handshakes and certainly enjoy a warm welcome. On the other hand, hugs are great among new good friends  and friends of yore; and because you are in that latter category,We will certainly will give you and Mary hugs when we see you next. ////FROM JACK:  The "passing of the peace" began with the kiss of peace, but for one reason or another, I see it seldom used.

 FROM YOOPER FLICKA:  I LIKE THAT IDEA....WHEN YOU HAVE ARTHRITIC  HANDS ::::A HUG, OR GO TO THE ELBOW !  TUDEN TACK////FROM JACK:  I have a couple of friends who give a very firm handshake, so I prepare myself.

  FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  A hug is worth a thousand handshakes. The handshake was instituted to show you weren't carrying a weapon. The hug shows  you care.////FROM JACK:  A bear hug also pins the other person's arms to his side, so he can't reach for his weapon.////PFC:  If I have a weapon, you aren't going to get near enough to "pin" me.////JACK:  I thought I saw a peace medalion hanging around your neck.

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  Keep it up.  You'll grow to like it!////FROM JACK:  Is it possible to teach and old bear new hugs?////CJL:  Actually, you'll get to like hugging if you do it enuf.  At a church where I interimed, a hugger gave me a mug that was all bent out of shape.  It's message was, "I was fine until someone hugged me!"////JACK:  Better the cup than me.

 FROM CS IN WISCONSIN:  After my father died in 1974, my wish was that I had hugged him just one more time and told him I loved him.  Since that time our family has become huggers!  I know that sometimes I sense that not all people are huggers, and I don’t hug strangers, but friends and family…well, look out!  There is something good that happens when you hug someone – good endorphins that makes us aware that someone has ‘touched’ us today.  When we were members at Grace Lutheran in Woodstock, Bob used to hug some of the widowed ladies after church – they were friends that we did things with during the week at church.  One lady commented that it was the only time during the week that someone had touched her.  We never forgot that.  It is hard for Lutherans to ‘touch’ or sit close to anyone in church…but it is fun!  It has turned mighty cold in the north country…our balmy fall weather has left.  We have a little white stuff on the ground too.  There was a little more of it in Duluth yesterday when we took our granddaughter back to UM-D.  Lake Superior looked very cold and gray yesterday!  BRRRR!!!!////FROM JACK:  Lake Superior needs one of Bob's BIG hugs.  I remember seeing a cartoon about a man who was uncomfortable when his congregation was introducing the passing of the peace.  He was sitting in a pew and whispering to his wife: "Ewww, it's touchy, feeley time again."

 FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  One of my professors used to tell us future pastors to do all our hugging in public with the exception of our wives!////FROM JACK:  Billy Graham never allowed himself to be alone with a woman, other than his wife.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  A hug is a good thing.////FROM JACK:  I read an article about good hugs and bad hugs.////TS:  How could a hug be bad?////JACK:  A "bad" hug might be...
a hug that is not wanted.
a hug where one squeezes harder than you want to be squeezed.
a hug that is not genuine.

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Easy to do. no expense, but courtesy requires permission from person to be hugged.  In CAP we are not allowed to touch anyone without permission.////FROM JACK:  CAP?  Child Advocacy Program? 

 FROM BF IN MICHIGAN:  I'm a "HUGGER" too!  Get with the program Jack!!!!////FROM JACK:  With hugging, I tend to be a responder, not an instigator.



2 comments:

Ray Gage said...

Within the contemporary context of impersonal relationships involving such things as on-line dating, incessant texting, a plethora of reality shows, and other similar examples of intimacy avoidances, it is nice to know that hugging is expanding in popularity. There is nothing like the human touch!

Anonymous said...

Actually, my Dad was a handshaker, even of me, and knowing how reticent he was about sharing his feelings, somehow even when we were shaking hands, our eyes said a lot more to each other. His handshaking, eye-looking will always continue to warm my heart.
S.H. in MI