Monday, November 19, 2012

Winning Words 11/19/12
“We go through life sightless among miracles.”  (Quoted by Ellen Creager in the Free Press)  Have you ever been in another country and attended a worship service?  In last week’s Travel section, E.C. describes experiences told to her…in London, a woman carrying a barking dog up and down the church aisle…in a Liberian church, old Gospel songs and the U.S. Marine Band.  Have you seen something unusual lately?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Last night I was at our local Presbyterian Church at a meeting of All God's Children (advocates of gay, lesbian and transgendered inclusiveness in our churches) and one couple came. The man has serious Parkinson's. He used a walker and after the potluck and meeting, I helped Barb carry some food out to their car. I was amazed at how she gently encouraged him and kind of also cajoled him that, to me as I walked beside them, long, long distance. Most people would be in a home or at least home-bound and not make the effort these two amazing people do. In reflection, I think the thing to think is not "I could never do that" but "Here are two people setting an example which some day I may be in position of endeavoring to follow." Faith, trust and love are miracles sometimes seen obliquely.////FROM JACK:  Thanks for sharing that unusual experience.  I agree that most probably would not make the effort.

 FROM TRIHARDER:  The thing about Orthodox Judaism is it's so much the same all over the world. I was in Prague last year, after visiting my son in Lithuania. On Saturday morning, I decided to go to a service in the oldest synagogue in Europe.  After I was interrogated, I was greeted and allowed into the service where men and women sat separated by a large, thick wall.  I immediately recognized the chants and the words and felt quite at home listening to a service 3000 miles from home.  I never get used to this familiarity. ////FROM JACK:  In this day and age, when change seems to be the norm, and "new and improved" seems to be what sells, it's interesting that "old and the same" also sells in Prague.  How old do you think that service is?
////TH:  The synagogue was built in about 1270.  Obviously, services have been interrupted from time-to-time, most recently during the Soviet occupation.  It's so comforting that, no matter where I go in the world, I can attend a familiar service (--even though I am not dramatically observant).  It provides me with a real connection to the Jewish people, our history, culture and traditions.

 FROM CWR IN B'MORE:  Did you know that Liberia is a Country founded by freed Maryland Slaves sent back to Africa ////FROM JACK:  I did know of Liberia's close connection with the United States (the capital, Monrovia, named after President James Monroe), but I had forgotten about it's connection with the American slaves.  Unusual!

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  While in China during my Marine stint, I visited the temples in the hills. Awesome. And I have never forgotten their beauty and the effort and devotion it took to build them. ////FROM JACK:  Who are we to question the beliefs of a culture that is beyond our understanding?  I am in awe of the faith and devotion of the people who built the temples that you described.

 FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  My sisters little dog Mollie often goes to church, doesn't make a sound and seems to love hymns-------we also have a special  service every year for blessing the animals.  We have had all kinds of creatures from a snake to sheep and donkeys.  Good  thing that the church floor is stone, easy to clean!!!////FROM JACK:  I remember reading of a lady in England who would take her small dog to church and hide him under her coat when she went to communion.  When the vicar wasn't looking, she'd break off a piece of the wafer and feed it to her pet.  What do you think that God's reaction might be.?  What does Doreen think?

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Happy Thanks giving...and I offer a prayer of thanks for the wonderful way you communicate with us. You are so very creative and thoughtful. God bless you, your loved ones, and all on the list, Jack.  Thanks again////FROM JACK:  There was a WW2 book (made into a movie) called, God Is My Co-Pilot.  I feel that God is my co-pilot as I write my words.////AW:  I have a copy of that  book...and I once heard a preacher say the title is wrong...should be "God is pilot..I am the copilot. ////JACK:  It depends on whether or not you believe in predestination.

 FROM GP IN MICHIGAN:  My wife and I have attended St Fredericks Lutheran Church in St Thomas in the Caribbean that was founded in 1666 several times at Easter Time...  It has a steel drum band  playing along with the hymns and communion vessels that were a gift of the Queen of Denmark.  They sang 15 hymns at the service.  When I ask why so many, the answer was " Its Easter, the most important time of the Christian calendar. We usually only sing 8 or 9 hymns."  We loved it and have been back several times ////FROM JACK:  I like the sound of a steel drum band...and Easter songs would be special.  We learn from others that things don't always have to be the same.  At the Memorial Service at the West Bloomfield Cemetery, we sang, America, accompanied by George, playing a harmonica..

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  When I was in Africa in 1999 we attended a service where they announced how much they needed in the offering before the offering was sought – after the ‘collection’, it was counted and then announced how much more they needed – then proceeded to pass the baskets until the ‘goal’ was exceeded.////FROM JACK:  Mmmmm.  I'm wondering what you did when the offering plate came around?  ....the second time?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Last night I was at our local Presbyterian Church at a meeting of All God's Children (advocates of gay, lesbian and transgendered inclusiveness in our churches) and one couple came. The man has serious Parkinsons. He used a walker and after the potluck and meeting, I helped Barb carry some food out to their car. I was amazed at how she gently encouraged him and kind of also cajoled him that, to me as I walked beside them, long, long distance. Most people would be in a home or at least home-bound and not make the effort these two amazing people do. In reflection, I think the thing to think is not "I could never do that" but "Here are two people setting an example which some day I may be in position of endeavoring to follow." Faith, trust and love are miracles sometimes seen obliquely.
S.H. in MI