Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Winning Words 10/9/12
“I am so beautiful, sometimes people weep when they see me, and it has nothing to do with what I look like.”  (Margaret Cho)  I had a chance to look through a copy of People Magazine the other day.  There seemed to be pictures of “beautiful” people on every page.  There was no picture of Margaret Cho, even though she sees herself as beautiful.  What is beauty, after all?  Who are examples in your mind?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM CS IN WISCONSIN:  Beautiful people to me are those who day after day take care of nursing home residents, Alzheimer’s residents, Hospice volunteers who give relief to families of terminally ill people and visit the terminally ill reassuring them that God loves them, those who work with the homeless, those who make quilts to be sent around the world, teachers working with disabled children, doctors who operate on infants to make them better– anyone who helps someone besides themselves feel good about themselves.
As for the ‘beautiful’ people in the magazines – well, if they can get beyond themselves…  It’s what’s inside someone that really makes them beautiful.  So much for my opinions!////FROM JACK:  You've got the gist of Margaret's quote.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  thanks for sharing your view.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  i think you are beautiful!    (but i also  have bad eyesight)  blessings. ////FROM JACK:  Nope!  I wasn't in People, either.  In fact, I've never had my picture in the Metro Lutheran.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  The woman, Martha, who baked bread and cookies and pastries out of my grandmother's "green house" for the loggers on the AuSable River.  She was a beautiful person inside but would not have been judged beautiful on the outside.  My grandmother Mildred who was a gentle God-loving soul.  She fell out of her highchair when she was two and her left eye was slanted out forever after.  My Sunday school teacher Mrs. Woike who walked and talked and told of Jesus to a bunch of little ones.  My grandpa Herman who was gifted with intelligence beyond normal.  He also loved God with a quiet but strong faith.  My parents Bob and Eileen who opened their hearts and homes to so many and gave us kids the gift of love.  Many people in my life were beautiful beautiful people. ////FROM JACK:  A beautiful girl, who was a complete stranger, gave a shy wave to me the other day...from her wheelchair.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  People should call that the "plastic surgery" issue. Margaret Cho is hilarious.  BTW, Did u see that Gaga was smoking pot onstage? Just read that her parents' NYC restaurant is on the verge of being closed by board of health. The new Amy Winehouse, I fear... ////FROM JACK:  It must be a terrible burden to carry...to have to try and live up to a media image.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Reminded  again that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"..and how fortunate is that?! AND "A thing of beauty is a JOY forever" (Keats)/   My 4th and 5th grade Bible School teacher was far from beautiful, elderly plain spinster, but she was so kind, loving and soft-spoken and encouraging that we all loved her!  I've never forgotten her, and can still recall her face, tho by now the name escapes me. She had beauty of soul!  THAT is lasting beauty.////FROM JACK:  I wonder if there is someone today, who can remember your face, but can't recall your name....that person who made such an impact on their life?  I would not be surprised if that were true.////BO:  I've been blessed (as I'm sure you have also) by warm notes from former students (some still send Christmas cards every year) and parishioners over the years. It means a lot to think your life has counted in a meaningful way!!////JACK:  A businessman friend keeps a file folder where he puts customer "thank you" letters.  Whenever there's a down day, he pulls out the folder and reads some of the letters////BO:  Reminded once again that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder":  how fortunate is that?! AND "A thing of beauty is a JOY forever" (Keats)  I  think of an elderly Bible school teacher in Moline who had no physical beauty at all, but was so kind and loving that we all adored her!  Beauty of Spirit.  And now, let me show you my grandchildren....HA!

FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  music. it doesn't require vision.......////FROM JACK:  When I was in a choir, long ago, I remember singing this ancient Irish hymn.  You probably know it and can sing it.
 Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armor, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after victory is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Jesus on the cross. It's hard to pinpoint when my seeing him that way changed but I think it was when God/He/Holy Spirit and some special God's children helped me to see that he's always been with me and to see beauty in my own suffering and afflictions too. To see better the whole picture.  Enjoyed your WW again this morning and all the sharing on your blog.////FROM JACK:  Well, that's a response that I didn't expected.  On second thought, it causes me to recall a hymn that is popular in many of our congregations...Beautiful Savior.

 FROM DB IN MICHIGAN:  Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II ....... they did not consider themselves but instead focused on the worth and beauty of others.////FROM JACK:  My favorite pope was John XXIII, a real beauty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus on the cross. It's hard to pinpoint when my seeing him that way changed but I think it was when God/He/Holy Spirit and some special God's children helped me to see that he's always been with me and to see beauty in my own suffering and afflictions too. To see better the whole picture.
Enjoyed your WW again this morning and all the sharing on your blog.
thanks.
S.H. in MI