Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Winning Words 10/17/12
“It ain’t enough to get the breaks.  You gotta know how to use ‘em.”  (Huey P. Long)  A psychological study discovered certain characteristics among people who seemed to “get all the breaks.”  They are open-minded, willing to risk, have a relaxed approach to life, are positive thinkers…and were summer babies.  A song lyric goes, “Breaks run cold, and breaks run hot.  Some folks got ‘em, and some have not.”    ;-)  Jack

 FROM WILLMAR PAUL:  Good word Jack for an early riser this morning!////FROM JACK:  ...and I stayed up way past my bedtime last night, too!

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  As I look over that list of "certain characteristics" I realize all five of them (some more than others) apply to me.  Looking back, I suppose I did get quite a few "breaks".  Ahhhhh, that's why my life has been so good!////FROM JACK:  The old saying, "It's not what you know, but who you know," is not completely correct.  A lot of time it's what you know and who you know.  The "who" often recognizes the "what."

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  We often aren't privy to the "breaks" a "lucky" person did not get... glad 2 be a summer baby, tho!////FROM JACK:  I wonder if there's someone operating the "break" pedal?

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That is an interesting psychological study which I have never heard of before.  I wonder why people even think about those facts.  I just say-to each his own, you win some, you lose some, faith is a gift, God answers prayers, enjoy each day, always do your best and God will do the rest. ////FROM JACK:  People always seem to be wondering, and when they wonder, someone usually writes a book about it.  "Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?"  Is it just the breaks?  ...you win some and, you lose some?

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  As Sam Goldwyn said, The harder I work, the luckier I get." Joan did a sampler of that and it hung in our office for YEARS.////FROM JACK:Now Donald Trump is going around saying it.  I wonder if he has a sampler in his office?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  AW SHUCKS! I'M A SPRING (APRIL) BABY, AND HAVE A  PRETTY INTENSE ATTITUDE TOWARD LIFE...BUT I AM A POSITIVE THINKER, WHICH REMINDS ME OF THAT EXCELLENT OLD BOOK BY N.V. PEALE, "THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING"!    YOUR MIND-SET HAS TO IMPACT YOUR "BREAK" PEDAL (!) AVERAGE!~!'M  FILLED WITH GRATITUDE FOR ALL I HAVE RECEIVED!! AND LEARNED FROM THOSE I DIDN'T... ////FROM JACK:  There is a margin for error in statistics, so April is close enough to summer that it may count.  You've had your breaks along the way, haven't you?

No comments: