Thursday, October 11, 2012

Winning Words 10/11/12
“If you want to catch something, running after it isn’t always the best way.”  (Lois McMaster Bujold)  I remember reading about a cat named, Happy.  He would never come when called.  Then, when least expected, he would suddenly be your lap.  It’s often that way with happiness.  It’s elusive…and, then, suddenly, it’s in your lap.  Haven’t you found that some of the best things in your life have come unexpectedly?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think that is the motto of some pastors....they are sitting back and waiting for their churches to prosper....sometimes, it pays to go out and work, too.    I've noticed that "good luck" seems to follow after folks who are working hard.////FROM JACK:  "Go and make disciples" are the words of a sales manager to any employee whose job it is to "sell" a product.  The next step is up to the sales person.

 FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  keep an open heart and mind.  happiness will happily fly in.   fyi-never try to chase a puggle.  they have turbo speed!////FROM JACK:  Now I know!  A puggle is a pug/beagle mix.  My daughter has a dog who will ALWAYS run to you...if you have food.  Some people are like that, when you have something they want.  Thankfully, everyone's NOT like that.////PM:  if lucy doesn't come when i call her, i yell out "treat!"  she comes right away.  smart dogs!

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Absolutely. Positively/. For sure.////FROM JACK:  I guess than means, Yes!

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Almost all of them.////FROM JACK:  A lot of times we go along thinking that we are in control of what happens in our life, and then...SIS, BOOM, BANG!

 FROM TL IN HOUSTON:  Jack, you just happen to catch it in my lap this morning.  How do you do that? ////FROM JACK:  It was an example of one of those things that happens unexpectedly.  Some of us call it, The intervention of the Holy Spirit.////TL:  Yes we do!

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Perfect WW for us this week.  We are babysitting for all three of our granddogs.  One huge chocolate lab 2 years old, one little white poodle-bichon mix 1 year old and one boxer-lab mix 9 years old.  The old one, Koko, Andy's dog comes right away but the other young ones come when they want.  I have shake a dog bone box to get them in.  They love the creek behind us and you can imagine the issues we have with that!  So I just laughed when I read this WW!!!  There are always surprises in life and it's fun just waiting for them to happen!!!  Like...the dogs coming the first time we call!  Miracles!!!////FROM JACK:  My hearing improves considerably, depending on what it is that my wife is asking me to do.

 FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Still trying to understand cat psychology. But, yes, that's it. Good metaphor. ////FROM JACK:  One of my favorite comics is "Get Fuzzy."  The cartoonist captures the mind of a cat, if, indeed, it can be captured.

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  Like.////FROM JACK:  I'll have to guess.  Like cats?  Like the name Lois?  Like the unexpected?  Like being happy?  Like Winning Words?

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Like we "run after" our guys 'til they catch us?! Sneaky, huh? :-)  I'll take happiness anytime, whether it is planned or unexpected  I think it was Meryl Streep who said, "Instant gratification isn't soon enough" !  Most of us are rarely  that impatient: probably said tongue-in-cheek...Our family much preferred dogs to cats, tho we had both at one time or another.  Dogs can be trained; cats do as they please!////FROM JACK:  Meryl's quote reminded me of the prayer: "Dear God, grant me patience...RIGHT NOW!"

 FROM JT IN MINNESOTA:  My mother in law had "wise" sayings for nearly every event.  For the situation you are talking about she would say,"You catch more flies with honey than vinegar."  So good to be on your list.////FROM JACK:  They used to call sayings like that, "old saws."  I'm going have to find out why. 










No comments: