Friday, September 07, 2012

Winning Words 9/7/12
“Some of us think that holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it’s letting go.”  (Hermann Hesse)  “The Gambler” was a hit song for Kenny Rodgers…”You got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em.”  This really isn’t about poker; it’s inherent wisdom.  In life, it’s important to know when enough is enough.  Is that something that can be learned, or is it trial and error?  I’m still learning; are you?   ;-)  Jack

 FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  I've printed this out and am putting the copy in one of our When Bad Things Happen to Good People, which remains the book about grieving I found most helpful. We've given a number of copies away over the years.////FROM JACK:  Early in my ministry, I came across a story that has seemed to stick with me.  On the Sunday after a tragic death had happened in a family, the mother and father and children came to church and settled into their usual pew.  A little girl nudged her mother and whispered, "They really do believe, don't they?"  We all struggle with belief.  "I believe, help my unbelief," said the father to Jesus.  I'm thankful for people who help me to believe.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Sometimes we hold on with both hands something that needed to be let go.  I know I do.   We do learn by trail and error and hopefully, don't repeat the same thing over and over again. ////FROM JACK:  I guess that's why we need to "pray without ceasing."  As Gilda Radner put it so well, "It's always something."

 FROM CL IN MICHIGAN:  Aren't we all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!////FROM JACK:  We never graduate from that educational process, do we?

 FROM SAINT JAMES:  You betcha!////FROM JACK:  It sounds like you've been hanging around Sarah Palin.

 FROM JB IN WISCONSIN:  With the recent passing of our mother we learned that sometimes the kind thing to do for a loved one is to let go.////FROM JACK:  It must have been difficult for the disciples to see Jesus ascend into the clouds, to let go.  But they were comforted by his promise that there will come another time when they will be reunited.

 FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  Is it learning by trial and error?  I'm still learning, too!////FROM JACK:  I think that most of us err on the side of wanting to hang on too long.////EMT:  And that is often only realized after the fact.  You know the old saying "hindsight is 20/20"  

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  It's a gut feeling, as any good poker player knows.////FROM JACK:  My gut doesn't feel so good when I wind up holding the Old Maid too long..

 FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH:  From my experience a combination of learning, experience and intuition, the latter of which is essentially a combination of your cumulative learning and experience, but something intangibly and hopefully, synergistically more.////FROM JACK:  In other words, life has taught you something.////ME:  I hope so.  Some times I think even that is a rebuttable presumption.  How's that for a fancy legal expression?////JACK:  Now I know why lawyers make BIG bucks....BIG words.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Once had a guy working for me whose motto was "I've learned my new thing for today. Think I'll take the rest of it off."  Ended up being "off" full time.////FROM JACK:  So, instead of holding on to him, you let him go.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Definitely still learning: As Clint Black has said, "The only easy day was yesterday"....Probably "letting go" of our children is difficult, but they have to live their own lives, and most of the time that works out well.  Good WW to ponder!  To hold tight, or  know when "it" is a lost cause... ////FROM JACK:  Some people have had more experience at it than others.  Thomas Dorsey was able to write "Precious Lord, take my hand," because that's the only way he could hold on.

FROM BS IN LONDON:  I always find your WW very helpful and so spot on with living but today's was very thought provoking for me.  The wonderful friend that I live with has Alzheimer's and I'm getting close to " folding "   Daily life is no longer fun but a struggle and I'm not sure how much longer she can remain at home.   Please keep us in your prayers.   What a cruel disease this is!!!!!////FROM JACK: Perhaps this modern translation of the 23rd Psalm can be of help to you.
PSALM 23  (From Psalms/Now by Leslie Brandt)
The Lord is my constant companion.
There is no need that He cannot fulfill.
Whether His course for me points
      to the mountaintops of glorious ecstasy
      or to the valleys of human suffering,
   He is by my side,
   He is ever present with me.
He is close beside me
      when I tread the dark streets of danger,
      and even when I flirt with death itself,
   He will not leave me.
When the pain is severe,
   He is near to comfort.
When the burden is heavy,
   He is there to lean upon.
When depression darkens my soul,
   He touches me with eternal joy.
When I feel empty and alone,
   He fills the aching vacuum with His power.
My security is in His promise
      to be near to me always,
   and in the knowledge
      that He will never let me go.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes (to your question), but in a different way, I guess.  Our friend and neighbor who was in his wheelchair and who had the ramp built for him because he liked to go around the block and to visit everyone, passed away in his sleep.////FROM JACK:  "Changing neighborhoods" means different things in different situations.

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  Glad to hear you're still learning.  You must be because, at least, of WW. ////FROM JACK:  Right now I'm reading a book that I didn't quite finish when I was in college English as a freshman.  "One Man's Meat"   by E.B. White.  It's really good.









No comments: