Monday, September 24, 2012

Winning Words 9/24/12
“It’s not the years in your life, but the life in your years, that counts.”  Adlai E. Stevenson)  I used to read Curious George books to my grandchildren, and we would laugh together.  The husband-wife authors created George as an antidote for the gloom of WW2.  I did not know that the Man in the Yellow Hat was modeled after Adlai Stevenson.  BTW, I wonder if George is operating that robot on Mars?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM PL IN MICHIGAN:  Remember that famous picture of Adli Stevenson sitting in a chair with his legs crossed and a hole on the sole of his shoe? I wish we had more "holes in shoes"  from our leaders today. ////FROM JACK:  Who among today's leaders would be most likely to have a hole in his/her shoe?

 FROM SS IN MICHIGAN:  You know, this quote is so true. My husband and I have one daughter who is 29 years old now and three children I miscarried and even those just months of life impacted on me forever. I wouldn't have the relationship I now have with God or with my husband or with my living daughter or with my understanding and relationship to scripture and the sacraments and the church if it weren't for the life in the years of those unborn and yet born somehow too babies. They certainly helped remove the gloom of this crazy warring world for me. Thanks again for your WW-early morning sunshine.////FROM JACK:  There are various kinds of wars and gloom.  This world needs more examples of how to let the sunshine in.  The Cowboy Church Sunday School would sing this song:  "So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin  Smilers never lose and frowners never win  So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin  Open up your heart and let the sun shine in."

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  I didn’t know about the Adlai Stevenson connection either; interesting. ////FROM JACK:  Illinois has had some politicians who were good role models.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Again I've learned something new already this morning...who knew that the man in the yellow hat was modeled after A.Stevenson??!  I am just beginning to read Curious George to my youngest (21/2) great g.daughter, and chuckle along with her...Fun!  The latest generation of "little ones" put new life in one's years!! My greats range in age from 13-2; new  schedule of baseball and football games, volleyball, etc.////FROM JACK:  I'm going to a grandson's X-Country race this afternoon.  No one, yet, has picked up on the last sentence of today's WWs.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I'm sure George is the one operating that robot on Mars!  It makes a lot of sense!  I didn 't know the Yellow Hat man was after Stevenson.////FROM JACK:  George's curiosity has been getting him into mischief for a long, long time. He's a pretty old monkey by now.

 FROM INDY GENIE:  Perfect for today .. Had a class reunion in Grayslake last weekend. I think reunions make us feel young giving "life to our years!"////FROM JACK:  Did you recognize any of the "old" people?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, this quote is so true. My husband and I have one daughter who is 29 years old now and three children I miscarried and even those just months of life impacted on me forever. I wouldn't have the relationship I now have with God or with my husband or with my living daughter or with my understanding and relationship to scripture and the sacraments and the church if it weren't for the life in the years of those unborn and yet born somehow too babies. They certainly helped remove the gloom of this crazy warring world for me. Thanks again for your WW-early morning sunshine.
S.H. in MI