Thursday, September 13, 2012

Winning Words 9/13/12
“Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you’re gonna get.”  (Forrest Gump)  Another Gumpism that I like is:  “My mama always said, ‘You got to put the past behind you before you can move on.’”  BTW, today is International Chocolate Day, and I plan to eat from the box of Sanders chocolates that I got as a birthday present.  I hope to get a caramel.  What’s your favorite chocolate candy?    ;-)  Jack

 FROM JE IN MICHIGAN:  My favorite chocolate is dark bittersweet rich chocolate with a cashew in it. I like to enjoy it with an equally dark coffee.////FROM JACK:  I don't think that one of "yours" is in my box.  It's marked, "Milk Chocolates."////JE:  That’s OK, I’ll share mine with you.////JACK:  I'm counting on it when I see you.

 FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I like caramels too, but also cashew!////FROM JACK:  Gesundheit!////DR J:  Your humor never gets old! Keep it up!!

 FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA:  I've been living in Philly for so long, I forgot Sanders  (my mother's favorite) even existed!  I have memories about their stores that go way, WAY back!////FROM JACK:  The brand is making a comeback.  Do you have Vernor's in PA?

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  One of my favorite movies and movie actors!!!!! I like a lot of different chocolates but my husband's favorite is chocolate milk balls. Thanks for telling us about this holiday--I'm going to buy some chocolate today, maybe chocolate milk balls if they are at the Majestic Grocery Store and glad we have an excuse now to celebrate!!!!!!////FROM JACK:  I also got a Hershey's candy bar as a birthday present.  That will be my afternoon snack...in honor of the day!

 FROM LE IN ARIZONA:  My fav' chocolate candy would have to be malted milk balls. Though, do those count? Cause those don't come in a box of chocolates!  I hope you find your caramel!////FROM JACK:  Yes, I did get that caramel.  I don't see anything round, so, chances are slim for finding a malted milk ball.

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Chocolate-covered Marzipan...ummmmm////FROM JACK:  Someone makes chocolate-covered jelly beans, and Starbucks serves chocolate-covered coffee beans, but I've never heard of chocolate-covered Boston baked beans.////RI:   can't respond now...I've got caramel tangled in my teeth!////JACK:  If you eat too much of that stuff, you won't have to worry about teeth.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  Save me a Carmel.////FROM JACK:  Too bad!  There was only one.  You should have sent your request earlier.

 FROM PC IN MICHIGAN:  First of all, everyone I tell that it's International Chocolate Day is very pleased. :)   Secondly, I'm not sure I can choose.  The Easter Bunny used to bring me a white chocolate bunny so I've always had a special place in my heart for white chocolate. Recently it's been dark chocolate and if you put almonds or hazelnuts with it; yum!  And who can resist a peppermint patty?   I keep a hand-crafted candy dish (made by my son Nick) on my desk so others can come by for a piece of chocolate if they're stressed, hungry or just need a little something. It's amazing the wonderful things chocolate can do to your disposition.////FROM JACK:  I used to keep an old-fashioned gumball machine in my office.  Kids were always begging their parents for pennies, so that they could use it.  Some of the "wise" ones knew that I had a penny-dish on my desk.

 FROM KF IN MICHIGAN:  ALL OF THEM!!!////FROM JACK:  You should dress up and go trick or treating on Halloween.

 FROM SA IN MICHIGAN:  I love Cadbury chocolate with Almond.FROM JACK:  The Easter Bunny always seems to put Cadbury eggs in my basket.  Yes, I still have an Easter basket.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Chocolate gives me zits. Prefer jelly beans but I never figure out how to top  a banana split with them. So I settle for zits once in a while.////FROM JACK:  You could call it a "banana zit split."

 FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  Any and all dark chocolate!////FROM JACK:  My mother used to wonder how come the package of Nestle chocolate bits was opened and half gone.

 FROM DFL IN OREGON:  Favorite Chocolate? Cherry Center! (Like them all!) Joy and Peace. ////FROM JACK:  Brach's Cherry Cordials, with dark chocolate...they are great!

 FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS:  My son and I are all about caramel but the almond toffee things are pretty good too.////FROM JACK:  Then you must like Heath bars?  Did you know that they make Heath bar ice cream?

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Whoa, I didn't know it was such an important day!  I will have to go out and get some chocolate!  My favorite candy is Bit o Honey but i will eat the occasional chocolate.  I don't have a favorite.////FROM JACK:  I also got a bag of Bit-O-Honey candy for my birthday.  Which reminds me... There are two remaining pieces that I need to eat.

 FROM DS IN MICHIGAN:  Plain dark chocolate – Yum   You’re going to eat just one? ;o)////FROM JACK:  I have to save room for the Hershey bar.

 FROM GUSTIE MN:  I'm with you--I like the chocolate covered caramels! ////FROM JACK:  When I was a kid my dad managed an A&P grocery story.  Chocolate covered caramels were then sold in bulk from a large brown cardboard box.  I was able to help myself.  The good old days!

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  MMMMMMMMMM!  White chocolate Lindor Balls from Switzerland. In fact Milk chocolate, Dark Chocolate,  Hazelenut, Mint, etc.etc. Lindor balls too... Not chocolate, but M & M Peanut butter candies are a family favorite here, too. Good thing I just played 18 holes of golf... RUN, Marilyn, RUN! HA!////FROM JACK:  You should have eaten a Life-Saver; then you would have gotten a hole in one.

 FROM CS IN MICHIGAN:  Any dark chocolate! Yumm! And happy birthday. We share the same month. Maybe I will get some chocolates.////FROM JACK:  Ben & Jerry's makes a chocolate ice cream cake.
All cakes are made using Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. The base of the cake is about a half inch layer of brownie, followed by one layer of ice cream, then a crunchy chocolate cookie crumb layer, and completed by another layer of ice cream. The cake is then decorated with whipped cream icing.

 FROM RF AT GOBLU:  I love any kind of chocolate!! Thanks for informing me that it's International Chocolate Day- now I have a reason to celebrate!////FROM JACK:  Is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" on your reading list at the U?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN:  Remember the Habernero Peanut Brittle we sent you?  That was probably NOT one of your favorites!////FROM JACK:  I'm used to jalapenos with my nachos, but with peanut brittle, it has to be an acquired taste.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  I love em all as long as its milk chocolate!////FROM JACK:  Milton Hershey would send you a "Kiss" if he were still alive.

 FROM CJL IN OHIO;  What does he mean by never knowing what you're going to get?  Doesn't everyone "punch" one before he/she takes it?////FROM JACK:  I usually can tell by the shape.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite movies and movie actors!!!!! I like a lot of different chocolates but my husband's favorite is chocolate milk balls. Thanks for telling us about this holiday--I'm going to buy some chocolate today, maybe chocolate milk balls if they are at the Majestic Grocery Store and glad we have an excuse now to celebrate!!!!!!!