Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Winning Words 9/11/12
“A penny is a lot of money, if you have not got a penny.”  (Yiddish Proverb)  Many years ago, in the business world, the phrase, “God’s Penny,” was used in reference to a small down payment (even a penny) to seal a deal.  It meant: God is a witness to this!  The word, omnipresent, is sometimes used to define God.  He’s always present.  Can you recall situations in your life to illustrate this?  A penny for your thoughts.    ;-)  Jack

 FROM RI IN BOSTON:  When that Yiddish proverb first appeared, a penny probably was a lot of money.  Today pennies are litter...they are seen lying around and no one has any interest in stooping to pick them up.  It's no wonder that people are willing to ante up a penny for my thoughts.  I believe God is part of every element of His creation, so it follows that wherever I am, He is always present.////FROM JACK:  God's Penny is "holy!"  It's different from the penny that you describe.  My wife always stoops to pick up a penny lying of the ground.  "Oooooh!  a lucky penny!"

 FROM JAM IN VIRGINIA:  Yet again, something interesting to ponder . . . :-)  We're in the process of buying a house as my husband's new job is here.  Looks like we'll be on the east coast at least until the job market in CO improves.  Meanwhile, lots of pennies for the down payment!  Reminds me of yesterday's WW -- bad things (or difficult things) can be a blessing in disguise.  Our goal is to retire in CO, so we don't really want to be here.  God must have other plans!////FROM JACK:  During the Great Depression, there was an expression:  "He's so poor that he doesn't have two pennies to rub together."  You mention "a blessing in disguise."  I've always liked the old song: "Count your many blessings."

 FROM BF IN MICHIGAN:  Amen!!!////FROM JACK:  Do the 3 exclamation marks stand for the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

 FROM MICHIZONA RAY:  I think the message is about how one's perspective needs to be considered in relationship to various circumstances -- as in walking in another's shoes. We must follow the path presented to us, and know that God is with us at each step and turn, regardless of the quantity of "pennies" given us. I am reminded of the Eastern proverb: a man with no food is wise to choose hunger.////FROM JACK:  I find it easier to be reflective when I have sufficient pennies...and food.  I find it difficult to walk in the shoes of those who have no shoes.////RAY:  You are right to note what you can reflect upon, because it can only be based on our own individual experience. Unless we take off our shoes, we cannot walk with those who have none. Unless we welcome Christ in our heart, so it is also impossible to know His walk.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  "See a penny pick it up all he day you'll have good luck...see a penny let it lie stick a needle in your eye."  I understand pennies are supposed to bring good luck but the needle in the eye I don't understand.  Just as we have a hard time understanding God can be everything to everybody.  He's guided my steps many many times, especially when I actually let Him.////FROM JACK:  I've never heard that needle in the eye slogan, but it's like "don't step on a crack, or you'll break your mother's back," saying.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  When my husband and I go to church, we are surrounded by quite a few old people, also going to church. Then when they go into their assisted living or nursing homes, we go there to visit them. For years I was visiting this one who finally was on a ventilator and also a feeding tube. For years. Praying and praying and praying and also lifting up joy when even a small little thing would happen that indicated she was having even some little bit of enjoyment or pleasure. We played Finnish songs on her CD player and also old 1940's music and she would move her legs. I used to be upset that she had to live such a long life. Well, she finally did die--over an Easter weekend, on a Saturday. With all the preaching and worshipping and hearing of the most emotional and spiritually intense scriptures, God seemed to be pounding on me that He is always present and there are things in life that we don't always see and He wants us to experience--not one minute of it is lived in vain. Her whole life absolutely glowed for me. Won't ever put too much stock anymore in ruminating on the "quality of life" and questioning God as I did back then. Pick up every penny, pay attention to every person no matter how insignificant they may seem to be to this world, they are contributing somehow someway to someone's transformations if we can only see it and catch on to it.////FROM JACK:  The table prayer that is so often sung..."Be present at our table, Lord.  Be here and everywhere adored...etc." can seem trite.  But, "Be here, and everywhere adored..." is certainly a prayer that I would like to have answered.  You have seen the answer in an elderly lady's room.

 FROM GOOD DEBT JOHN:  I agree with the sentiment if not the math. In 1965 as a child a penny was useful, I could get three pieces of candy at Missies Drug at the corner. Today pennies alone can buy little. Today it could be: “A dollar is a lot of money, if you have not got a dollar.”  (Federal Reserve Proverb) ////FROM JACK:  One of my favorite quotes from Everett Dirkesen (I have two) was about government spending.  "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon, you're talking real money."

  FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  O this day 9-11 I am just so thankful so have grown up in the USA. We will only be destroyed from within-both ourselves and our country.////FROM JACK:  God has blessed us beyond our deserving, for which we give humble thanks.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I still stoop to pick up "lucky pennies", b/cause I remember having to pinch them as a young minister's wife, and mother of four. We have a penny collection in our church circle, and at the end of the year, have a couple hundred  dollars to give to a needy cause in the community. Just pennies...!  I just read a mini-bio of Flannery O'Conner in which she says, "It makes a difference in a story whether the writer believes we are made in God's image,  or whether we create God in our own". Gave me pause...!  She was not a prolific author, but  a profound one!  I have felt God's leading in all of the important decisions of my life, the most important being the choice of a lifelong mate!////FROM JACK:  Do you still have that lucky penny you found on the day that you and Bill decided to be married?

 FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  Once long ago, I bought a car and financed it with General Motors. I deliberately paid a penny more to see what would happen..Nothing did. No response, and no penny. ////FROM JACK:  During the Great Depression I remember being sent to the bank by my mother to cash an insurance refund check for 3 cents.

 FROM JT IN MICHIGAN:  I truly can't remember a situation when He wasn't.////FROM JACK:  God is present, whether we want to acknowledge it or not.












 























 

3 comments:

Ray Gage said...

I think the message is about how one's perspective needs to be considered in relationship to various circumstances -- as in walking in another's shoes. We must follow the path presented to us, and know that God is with us at each step and turn, regardless of the quantity of "pennies" given us. I am reminded of the Eastern proverb: a man with no food is wise to choose hunger.

Anonymous said...

Because my husband and I go to church, we are surrounded by quite a few old people, also going to church. Then when they go into their assisted livings or nursings homes, we go there to visit them. For years I was visiting this one who finally was on a ventilator and also a feeding tube. For years. Praying and praying and praying and also lifting up joy when even a small little thing would happen that indicated she was having even some little bit of enjoyment or pleasure. We played Finnish songs on her CD player and also old 1940's music and she would move her legs. I used to be upset that she had to live such a long life. Well, she finally did die--over an Easter weekend, on a Saturday. With all the preaching and worshipping and hearing of the most emotional and spiritually intense scriptures, God seemed to be pounding on me that He is always present and there are things in life that we don't always see and He wants us to experience--not one minute of it is lived in vain. Her whole life absolutely glowed for me. Won't ever put too much stock anymore in ruminating on the "quality of life" and questioning God as I did back then. Pick up every penny, pay attention to every person no matter how insignificant they may seem to be to this world, they are contributing somehow someway to someone's transformations if we can only see it and catch on to it.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

You are right to note what you can reflect upon, because it can only be based on our own individual experience. Unless we take off our shoes, we cannot walk with those who have none. Unless we welcome Christ in our heart, so it is also impossible to know His walk.