Monday, August 27, 2012

Winning Words 8/27/12
“Try, and fail, but don’t fail to try.”  (Stephen Kaggwa)  Yesterday two WWs friends took part in an Ironman Triathlon…swimming, biking and running for 17 hours with no break.  That never was on my “bucket list.”  Another friend went to Mt. Everest.  Another hitchhiked around Europe.  My grandson flew solo when he was 16.  Have you ever tried to do something exciting and out of the ordinary?  It’s not too late!    ;-)  Jack

 FROM LOUIE IN MICHIGAN:  What is / are WWs?!.////FROM JACK:  In computerspeak, it stands for Winning Words.////LOUIE:  Oh, you mean "Jack speak!"  Thanks!////JACK:  Every day is a good day when you learn something.

 FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good WW.////FROM JACK:  How about when you ventured out to start your own business?////GEORGE:  With many, many thanx to my wife, Sue.////JACK:  as the old saying goes, "Behind every successful man, there's a woman (rolling her eyes)."

 FROM ILLINOIS LIZ:  I am an armchair adventurer & cheerleader.////FROM JACK:  Some of us would even have trouble staying awake for 17 hours, let alone doing a triathlon.////LIZ:  But I never shy away from intellectual adventures or challenges.////JACK:  ...like Wheel of Fortune?

 FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA:  Hey, we got ordained didn’t we??////FROM JACK:  I tried it and liked it.  I've also tried spinach, Brussels sprouts and liver...and liked them all.////PRPH:  My Mother had pernicious Anemia when I was a young boy and liver was highly recommended by some Doctors for her diet,  2 or 3 times a week.  I hate liver to this day but someone said to bury it in onions and maybe its not so bad after all…////JACK:  Add some crisp bacon, too.  Oh, how I wish the Family Buggy Restaurant hadn't gone out of business...they served it perfectly....along with stewed tomatoes.

 FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  One of the most exciting things I ever did was fall off a carousel horse at the carnival when I was a senior in high school. Unfortunately, Murphy was with me and never let me live it down. That was the beginning of my love for carousel horses. So much so that I carved my own full sized one. Pal amino with roses on the bridle and saddle. Giddy=up, Trigger!////FROM JACK:  Riding on the merry-go-round....and falling off....Whoa!  Next time, try the bench.

 FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  What about surfing in Maui?////FROM JACK:  I've seen that on TV, and I'm impressed that you've done it.  Perhaps you can top that by attending the GOP convention in your backyard.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  A Bungee jump, and riding in the 12 story Disney Hot Air Balloon are probably two of my more unusual things...I'd still like to try hang-gliding, soaring over the terrain, but doubt the opportunity will arise, at this point. If it does, I'll try it!  Jan and I scheduled 3 Hot air balloon rides, before the wind was right to go up, finally! Awesome!!!  Failure to Try would translate into many lost opportunities. Good WW for today!////FROM JACK:  So far, no one's mentioned "getting married."  That's sort of like bungee jumping...taking the big leap.

 FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  When our daughter was about 2 1/2 years old, we were living in Switzerland. We took a vacation to Paris, rode the train there, and tried to see a bunch of art museums. Pushing her in and out of them in her stroller and I think we got about 1/2 hour in each of them before she would get fussy and we would get out. That's probably one of the most interesting things we did which had a high element of failure possible.////FROM JACK:  I remember the first time we took our son to a restaurant (Bill's Fine Foods).  I think that Mary of I were up and down, in and out the door countless times, but it's a great memory...like your trip to Paris.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  White water rafting was the extent of my terrifying experiences.  However, I would like to zip-line across something one of these days.////FROM JACK:  How about entering the Trenary Outhouse race in the U.P.?  It's the last Saturday in February.  You can sign up now.  That should be a thrill!  Thousands of people show up.

 FROM MW IN ILLINOIS:  Have to admit I never had a bucket list, and now I'm to old to even think of one.////FROM JACK:  A bucket list is for those want to do certain things before it's too late.  How about riding the fastest, twistiest roller coaster at Six Flags?////MORE MARY:  Are you crazy? I could never ride that awful ride.  I happen to have vertigo & have to take meds if I feel a dizzy  spell coming on, it's not pretty if I don't catch it in time.////JACK:  You could take a bag with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When our daughter was about 2 1/2 years old, we were living in Switzerland. We took a vacation to Paris, rode the train there, and tried to see a bunch of art museums. Pushing her in and out of them in her stroller and I think we got about 1/2 hour in each of them before she would get fussy and we would get out. That's probably one of the most interesting things we did which had a high element of failure possible.
S.H. in MI