Thursday, August 16, 2012

Winning Words 8/16/12
“Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.”  (Charles Dana)  Every so often The Christian Century magazine has a theologian write an article, “How My Mind Has Changed.”  One writer began, “Have I changed?  I certainly hope so.”  I can identify with that.  The years have taught me to be more understanding and less dogmatic.  I highly recommend that.    ;-)  Jack

FROM CB IN MICHIGAN:  You're such a great mentor for learning everyday!////FROM JACK:  We learn from each other and by paying attention to what's going on around us.

FROM PASTY PAT:  Amen!////FROM JACK:  Thanks for expressing your opinion.  BTW, and AMEN at the end of a prayer is, expressing an opinion, isn't it?

FROM MEDD-O-LANE:  Isn't it scary that rote of things that happen in our life does effect our thoughts. ////FROM JACK:  I'm trying to figure out what was meant by "rote."  But I do agree that the unfolding of events does test pre-conceived notions.  I'm willing to change, but not just to change without thought. ////RESPONSE FROM M-O-L: the word "rote" is a method of learning through repeating.////FROM JACK:  It's been a long time since I've seen or used that word.  I should have known.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  This has always been hard for me. How can a person fight for their opinion and yet also, at the same time, recognize that the opinion may not be right. Finally, I think it is an action WW--a person fights for their opinion but at the same time chooses to be/remain in relationship and dialogue with others that believe differently. That's the sign that the person is willing to at least entertain the thought that the opinion may not be not right and need to be changed. ////FROM JACK:  Just because I have an opinion does not mean that it's not subject to change...with additional information.  Conversion is an example of this.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Diapers need changing. Minds need expanding.////FROM JACK:  Some of the "stinky" stuff in our minds needs to be thrown away.  A change of mind can sometimes be quite refreshing to the person and those around him/her.

 FROM CJL IN OHIO:  That would be a sign of maturity....hopefully we all obtain it. I remember an article from Simeon Stylities  (I think) that suggests we read the names of people in a photograph from right to left rather than the normal left to right and that as we grow older, our lives ought to reflect the movement from right to left.  Less dogmatic means movement to the left.  Good going!////FROM JACK:  I miss S.S. and some of the lessons he taught.  I think that his other name was Halford Luccock.  You probably recall that the original Simeon Stylites was a 5th century Christian ascetic who lived for 37 years on a small platform on top of a pillar in Syria...to get away from it all.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN:  I needed this quote this morning... Thanks for sharing, Jack!////FROM JACK:  Remember...the Lord is ALWAYS with you to provide strength.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has always been hard for me. How can a person fight for their opinion and yet also, at the same time, recognize that the opinion may not be right. Finally, I think it is an action WW--a person fights for their opinion but at the same time chooses to be/remain in relationship and dialogue with others that believe differently. That's the sign that the person is willing to at least entertain the thought that the opinion may not be not right and need to be changed.