Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Winning Words 8/14/12
“In happy moments, praise God.  In difficult moments, seek God.  In quiet moments, trust God.  In every moment, thank God.”  (Quoted by Bryan Clay)  Brian won the Olympic decathlon in 2008, but failed to qualify this time.  He had his happy times and some that were sad, both in sports and in life.  In that respect, he is like many of us.  Re-read the quote for today and let it direct your life.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Remember Bob Mathias?   He won Gold twice and was an incredible athlete.    They never mention him when they mention the great athletes in Olympic history....I think the sportscaster are too young and too ill read....they also forget Jim Thorpe which is almost inexcusable.////FROM JACK:  I'm reminded of the Latin phrase, "Sic transit gloria mundi."  (Thus passes the glory of the world.)  These words are always spoken at the coronation of a new pope.  They could also be used when a congregation changes pastors.  And they could be used, too, when Olympic medals are handed out.  New winners are waiting in the wings.  When Bob Mathias received his medal from King Gustav of Sweden, he said, "Thanks, King!"  I liked that.  Jim Thorpe will never get the glory that he deserves, but that's life.

FROM RJP IN NAPLES:  Good morning!!!!!! I think I'll go to bed now that I have your good word for the day. Good night!!!!////FROM JACK:  I thought that it was only a teen-ager who stayed up until dawn. ////MORE FROM NAPLES:  When my father was dying and I was trying to make him smile and not give up he said "Are you ever going to grow up".....I was 44 years old and my response was ..." I hope not Dad".
There is an innocents and purity in children that is sadly lacking today. Too bad we can't carry more of it into maturity. This month I will be at the Memorial of a dear friend who spent 40 years entertaining as the clown Peppermint Patty. She brought such joy to thousands and I wish I had done even more to help people smile. Laughing helps healing and our world needs more of it.  WOW I didn't mean to off on my soap box.  My lack of sleep is due to other situations today however.////FROM JACK:  This was written in 1884.
Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee,
All through the day;
Guardian angels God will send thee,
All through the day;
Soft the drowsy hours are creeping,
Hill and vale in slumber sleeping,
I my loving vigil keeping,
All through the day            You can probably sing it!.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Truer words were never spoken.////FROM JACK:  Somebody told me today that they were helpful, too. .




No comments: