Friday, July 13, 2012

Winning Words 7/13/12
“The hills of one’s youth are all mountains.”  (Mari Sandoz)  I had lots of fun when I was growing up, but I don’t think I’d want to be a teen again.  There were pressures and temptations then, but not like those of today.  In retrospect, many are the same, such as.  Not enough time..Concern over body image..Search for identity..Parental expectations.  Dr, Seuss wrote:  “Adults are obsolete children.”  I like that.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HR IN MICHIGAN:  Youth have better skin than we do.////FROM JACK:  Tell that to a teen with acne.////HR RESPONSE:  “It’s always something”…  RoseAnn RoseAnna Danna////FROM JACK:  I'm sure that she'd rather have had acne.  What a great lady...and comedienne, too.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Adults are obsolete children. I like that.////FROM JACK:  The 55 Chevy Bel-Air, cream and red hardtop, is now obsolete, but it's still my favorite car.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  You must have Dr. Seuss's book YOU'RE ONLY OLD ONCE! (Book for Obsolete Children)...What an entertaining writer was he! He dedicated that book to "the class of 1925". Suppose it might have been read at a class reunion. It is delightful, at any rate!  Looking 'way back to teen years, they seem to be happy and care-free, but imagine at the time there were "mountains" we climbed, as we discovered who we were, and what we wanted to do in life...especially who we'd spend our lives with!  BIG decision!!////FROM JACK:  Just the quote and not the book.  How about..."The mountains of old age are only hills?" 

FROM HONEST JOHN:   I have loved almost all of the various "ages" thru which I have travelled but clearly at the top of the list is the time from age 3 to age 10....that is a wonderful time of fantasy and dreaming and of searching and playing and just being a kid.   The worst time was the age just after that....middle school is a horrible time of life.  ////FROM JACK:  I like how Charles Dickens begins A Tale of Two Cities.   "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way."  As I look back and remember the various ages, I see the good and not so good, the positive and the not so positive.  I see (by the grace of God) a meandering walk in the right direction.////HONEST RESPONSE:  From what I have seen you have meandered more to the left than to the "right" direction....or is left right?    In this election, I think it certainly is.////FROM JACK:  I keep leaning left as I take the walk

FROM MEDD-O-LANE:  GOD allows ignorance to be innocence in youth but, HE gave us a brain to change ignorance into intelligence as we become adults.believe that when we leave this world, this life and this body we enter the Kingdom of Heaven as little children.////FROM JACK:  Jesus said, "Unless you become as little children, you shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven."  What do you think he meant by that?////MEDD RESPONSE:   I believe that when we leave this world, this life and this body we enter the Kingdom of Heaven as little children.////FROM JACK: We each wear our own moccasins, especially when it comes to walking into heaven.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  For some strange reason, when I was a teenager I still looked to adults, particularly my parents, more for values--now-a-days I feel young people's peer groups are more influential. We'll just have to see if all the values stand the test of time.////FROM JACK:   I wonder what your daughter, who's a "tweener," might have to say about her experience? 



FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:   On the other hand, Dr. Seuss,  adults are children's role models. ////FROM JACK:  For better, or worse.  And following up on Suess...Children are futuristic adults.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For some strange reason, when I was a teenager I still looked to adults, particularly my parents, more for values--now-a-days I feel young people's peer groups are more influential. We'll just have to see if all the values stand the test of time.
S.H. in MI