Thursday, June 28, 2012

Winning Words 6/28/12
“The Great Lakes were dug out by Paul Bunyan in order to provide a watering hole for Babe, his blue ox.”  (Fakelore Story)  Today is observed as Paul Bunyan Day in many areas of our country.  If I were in Minocqua, I’d have lunch at his Cooking Shanty.  There are many Pauls that I can think of…Robeson, Saint, McCartney, Cezanne, Harvey, Revere, Harrington and Lipson.  Are there others that you know?    ;-)  Jack

FROM DS IN MICHIGAN:  Paul Lipson is one of my favorites. ;o)  Heading to Bemidji, MN this morning. Plan to have my picture taken with their giant Paul Bunyan and Babe.////FROM JACK:  WOW!  Paul with two Babes!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We heard of Paul Bunyan in school as little kids.  Now-a-days, I'm sure that wonderful story isn't told anymore in school.  It was a great story!  John Paul???////FROM JACK:  John Paul Jones or Pope John Paul?:

FROM NURSE NANCY:  I like this better than the ice age theory.////FROM JACK:  I also read that it took 5 storks to deliver Baby Paul to his parents.

 FROM WATERFORD JAN:  Paul of Peter, Paul, and Mary (whose last names escape me right now). ////FROM JACK:  Stookey...and Yarrow, if I ever do a Peter...and Travers. if I ever do a Mary.


FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  Paul Williams, Paul Whiteman, Paul Mahoney, Ron Paul,  and Ken Pauly.////FROM JACK:  The Mahoney I'm thinking of was Phil.////.MORE PFC:  The Mahoney I'm thinking of is the ventriloquist.////FROM JACK:  That reminds me of Edgar. 

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN:  I like your reference to Paul Bunyan today . . . we have eaten in the shanty in Minocqua many times.    And thinking about Paul’s in my life, an uncle, a brother who had it as a middle name and 14 Paul’s in my email address book – and think of the many baseball players, like Paul Molitor and Paul Wagner and Paul Dean.////FROM JACK:  Paul Dean's nickname was "Daffy."  His brother was Jerome "Dizzy" Dean.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  It's been many years since I ate at the Paul Bunyan restaurant, but I remember many super-sized items!  Imagine that Paul Bunyan Day is super-sized Fun!  I had an Uncle Paul, have a good neighbor Paul, and church friend Paul.  There are quite a few famous ones, as you wrote!  All hail to special days that we can celebrate. My family was here over the weekend to celebrate my baby girl's 49th b.day! Big Whoop!!////FROM JACK:  How could I forget the famous theologian, Paul Tillich?

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY:  We just drove past Paul Bunyan and Babe in Minocqua a couple of weeks ago on our way up to family reunion in Manitowish Waters.  Never gets old.  I feel like I did as a little girl seeing them.  Lake County Museum has a Paul and Babe as a part of their permanent exhibit.
I have never met a Paul I didn't like.////FROM JACK:  When The Rolling Stones was being formed, Paul Jones was asked to be the lead singer, but he turned them down.  He went on to be less successful than The Stones.  One of his songs was, "I've Been a Bad, Bad Boy."

FROM CS EN ROUTE:  Yes, Paul Shepard. Enjoying your "words" in Spain. It has been a great trip. On our way home today.////FROM JACK:  Yes, the good Shepard!

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA:  who is that Harrington guy??////FROM JACK:  OOPS!  My mistake.  I see that I already listed "Saint" Paul.








 



 


No comments: