Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Winning Words 6/19/12
“I celebrate anything with freedom in it.”  (Comedian Paul Mooney)  Mooney was asked on NPR why he celebrated Juneteenth.  “J” is a holiday in Texas, remembering the announcement of The Emancipation Proclamation in Galveston, 2 ½ years after it was first issued.  News travelled pretty s-l-o-w-l-y in those days.  I must be “slow,” too, because I just learned about Juneteenth a few weeks ago.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DC IN MICHIGAN:  If you had substituted in Pontiac, you would have heard of Juneteenth many many years ago.////FROM JACK:  Juneteenth is one of many things that have been unknown to me.  A friend of mine has this saying literally etched in stone by his garage door...ANCORA IMPARO...."I am always learning."  I have a picture of that stone right next to my computer.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER:  You're a "few weeks" up on me.////FROM JACK:  I enjoy learning new stuff.  I like this quote from Robert Louis Stevenson: "The world is so full of a number of things,  I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Freedom is definitely something to be celebrated...and something I think a lot of American take for granted.  We are truly a blessed nation, flaws and all.  I knew about Juneteenth from traveling to Texas.  It's amazing how very slowly news did travel back then.////FROM JACK:  I think that the 2 1/2 years might have been with a purpose...until the war was over.  But, better late than never. 

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA:  And grants us death...to relieve us of all pain, evil, suffering,etc etc. Death is a gift!////FROM JACK:  There are different degrees of freedom, and the transition from life to death to eternal life is the ultimate one.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Juneteenth seems to be BIG here, and gets lots of publicity...It took over one of the parks all weekend in Springfield. Lots of activities and food!  We are so  blessed to live in a country where we have such freedom. I just received an email from Sharzia in Pakistan, who asked for prayer for their Baptist church, and for her sister and herself, who are active Christians there. Can you imagine your life as a Baptist in Pakiistan??!  Talk about FAITH!  I am in awe!////FROM JACK:  Religious persecution any place turns me off, Baptist, Muslim, Jewish.  We have a Pakistani doctor who recently visited Palestine and brought back a gift for us...vials of water, soil,

No comments: