Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Winning Words 5/29/12
“I baptized him with his own blood.” (Chuck Gregoire) Michelle Githen’s father was killed in the Vietnam War. Gregoire was holding him when he died. At the time of his death, Rich Githen had a baby daughter, Shelley. She contacted his buddy, Chuck, and he told her of the baptism on the battlefield. I heard this story during the Washington, DC, Memorial Day Concert. Memorial Day is for remembering. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Powerful testimony.////FROM JACK: The "picture" is imbedded in my mind.

FROM EEC IN MICHIGAN: Hm.////FROM JACK: In Luther's Catechism, we read: "Baptism is not water alone..."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: HOW INTERESTING! BILL WAS IN JUST ONE BATTLE, ABOARD THE NAVY CARRIER THE NEW JERSEY, BUT HE OFTEN TALKED ON MEMORIAL DAY OF HIS H.S. FRIENDS AND FELLOW ATHLETES WHO DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK FROM WW II. NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO MARRY, RAISE A FAMILY, FOR FURTHER EDUCATION AND PROFESSION, ETC. LIKE THIS YOUNG WOMAN, SOME NEVER GOT TO SEE THEIR CHILDREN. WHAT A SACRIFICE; WAR TRULY IS HELL ON EARTH!! REMEMBERING IS THE LEAST WE CAN DO!////FROM JACK: The following is by Judith Voirst and was sent by Marlyn Hodson. "I've had my share of necessary losses, and dreams I know no longer can come true. I'm done now with the whys and becauses. It's time to make things good, not just make do. It's time to stop complaining and pursue the pleasures of an ordinary life."

FROM SS IN MICHIGAN: I saw the same tribute on Detroit Public TV. It was a very moving piece.////FROM JACK: Baptism is sometimes taken for granted. Rich Githen's will always be in my mind.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: to also remember the futility of war.... which we never seen to fully grasp... ////FROM JACK: "The answer is blowin' in the wind."

FROM MW IN MICHIGAN: We watched that program too; it was beautiful. Jim says that other than the National Anthem, the program was from another year, because there was threatening weather in the area. Well, we hadn't seen it and really enjoyed it.////FROM JACK: The song which followed the story was, " Pie Jesu." I wonder if your choir has sung it?

FROM RS NEAR ORLANDO: When I see older ex GI's i look closely to see if they R in fact old buddies who now have changed physically as I have. But I never see anyone I knew in the service. Yep lots of memories. ////FROM JACK: I heard recently from an old buddy (though we weren't in the service). He plays golf regularly and has shot 41 holes-in-one. Did you ever play golf, or were you too busy milking cows?








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Powerful testimony.
S.H. in MI