Thursday, May 17, 2012

Winning Words 5/17/12
“Baseball is like church. Many attend, but few understand.” (Wes Westrum) Wes grew up in “Lutheran” Minnesota, so he must have been familiar with church. He also knew about baseball, having been a major league player and manager. I like today’s quote, because I’m both a baseball fan and a church fan. I know something about both “games,” but I also know that there’s much I don’t know about them. ;-) Jack

FROM HY YO IN MICHIGAN: I've never heard this quote before. Good one!////FROM JACK: I wonder is baseball is like the House of Representatives?

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I always wonder why so few people, in our church, attend Bible study. Maybe it's because they heard these WW and believe it's all so lofty they won't be able to understand--no matter what they do so they just come to church like this. In my opinion it's "Few understand what the other people are really thinking about theologically." Intriguing WW.////FROM JACK: Sometimes it's just a matter of finding our own comfort zone. Sometimes it's..."Don't confuse me with the facts." We need to celebrate our own learning opportunities.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Today Rick and I are going down to the Tiger/Twins game. I am going to wear my Mother's Twins cap. I wonder if I will be booed. Oh well!////FROM JACK: With due respect to your beloved mother, I hope the Tigers cream Gardenhire and those Twins.

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: My grandma understood both...very, very well.////FROM JACK: The truly knowledgeable person (like your grandma) realizes that there is still much to learn, especially with regard to religion, since the Bible is not to be used in the same way as the baseball rule book.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: What don't they understand? The rules...the game??? Strange quote.////FROM JACK: The nuances...in both situations. There's a game within the game.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: There's always room to learn more, isn't here?! Vince Lombardi once said, "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field." I guess that covers both Church and Baseball. et all. We continue to strive....////FROM JACK: I seem to recall a quote: "Education is what happens after we know it all."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wonder why so few people, in our church, attend Bible study. Maybe it's because they heard these WW and believe it's all so lofty they won't be able to understand--no matter what they do so they just come to church like this. In my opinion it's "Few understand what the other people are really thinking about theologically."
Intriguing WW.
S.H. in MI