Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Winning Words 5/16/12
“The World is My Cloister” (John Michael Talbot) If you’re wondering how someone finds their true calling in life, read Talbot’s book, “The World Is My Cloister.” The one-time rock star became a monk, trying to see the world as God sees it and to reflect that vision back to others. He writes that the peace of God can be found in many places, not only in a monastery. JMT found his peace in helping people in need. ;-) Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN: When I was still active as a full time pastor, I loved going into the empty sanctuary and having my morning devotions there....it almost felt like I was a monk....except my prayers were often about how I could fulfill my role as husband and father...////FROM JACK: I've read that the purpose of becoming a monk or a nun is so that you can make God the center of your life. Each of us has to choose where we want to put God in our life.

ROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: We sing his songs in church all the time and I never knew he was the one that made them popular. You always surprise me with your winning words. You’ve really read the book and enjoyed it? I will add it to my list.////FROM JACK: First, I was attracted by the pun in the quote. Then I was intrigued by a rock star who became a monk. Talbot's book is on my "to read" list. I added another this morning..."Sweet Heaven When I Die" by Jeff Sharlet. I can order them online from our great WB Library.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Gee, where have I been? This name does not even ring a bell for me! I'm going to see if my library can get that book for me...I like his punny sense of humor! I'm too social and family-oriented to have a monk's life appeal to me, but do cherish my quiet times, and the Lake setting is the perfect place for that!////FROM JACK: Taylor is one of the most popular composer of modern songs used in the Catholic Church (and many other churches, too). You must have heard/sung this one.
1.
I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save.
I, who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?
Refrain
Here I am, Lord.
Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord,
if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.
2.
I, the Lord of snow and rain,
I have borne my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them.
They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone,
Give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my word to them.
Whom shall I send?
Refrain.
3.
I, the Lord of wind and flame,
I will tend the poor and lame.
I will set a feast for them.
My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide
Till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them.
Whom shall I send?
Refrain.

FROM CL IN SANTA BARBARA: If I haven't mentioned it before, The Will of God as a Way of Life by Sittser is a great book that had a big impact on my own search for God's direction 13 yrs ago.////FROM JACK: I see that Sittser is from Whitworth Univ and has written books on the subject of spirituality. How the will of God affects one's life certainly is a spiritual issue. Isaiah 6:8 is the verse that led me to consider the pastoral ministry as my vocation.

No comments: