Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Winning Words 5/1/12
“Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.” (Lorraine Hansberry) I once saw an exhibit of Rodin sculptures and was fascinated to see that “The Thinker” was a part of a larger work, “The Gates of Hell.” A man is sitting, looking down at people in hell and thinking, pondering. I have a medallion of The Thinker attached to my p.c. IBM still places a sign at the desk of each employee. It simply reads: THINK ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I think you've just ruined my appreciation of Rodin's "The Thinker" Actually, I'm in a state of shock--what could Rodin's life have been like when he was sculpting his statue? Always imagined more that "The Thinker" was thinking about philosophy or soaring thoughts of some kind. But suppose a person could be watching people suffer in hell and be able at the same time to think about heaven. Dear me, dear me. What WW you have given us to ponder today.////FROM JACK: There is no Tooth Fairy, either. It's said that Rodin was influenced to do the sculpture after reading Dante's "Inferno." As Hansberry said, "Don't be afraid to think!"

FROM STORMIN' NORMAN: Good One Jack: I will send it on.////FROM JACK: I'm glad to hear that you're thinking today.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: In this modern world my refrigerator tells me when to order and when to buy a new filter, my car tells me many things, including when to refill my windshield fluid-especially during the lovebug season which is coming up, and my portable telephone tells me when I need to replace the batteries. Not only that, it tells me that I have put in the wrong kind of AAA batteries and that they have to be rechargeable.Can you believe this world we live in? Speaking of Rodin brings up wonderful memories of his studio or home in Paris and also of another sculptor's studio, Daniel French, just outside of Stockbridge.////FROM JACK: I'm impressed to know that you have visited Rodin's studio. I suppose you've been to the Sistine Chapel, too.

FROM DR J IN OHIO: IBM posts THINK and Apple THINK DIFFERENT ;-)////FROM JACK: IBM got the "Think" idea from National Cash Register. NCR brought it along when they merged with IBM. BTW, I don't know for sure, but I THINK that Apple's slogan should be: Think Different-ly. You might ask one of the English profs about this.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: These days I sit and think (& pray) a lot. It's refreshing to read that it's okay to sit awhile and just think and not be considered lazy. Each day I set a goal and make sure I accomplish the goal. However, sometimes I have to sit awhile to figure out my goals. Good Winning Words. Aren't you glad that are a lot of very smart and published people out there to give you your Winning Words?////FROM JACK: Yes, the quotes are from others, but I have to think about the commentary and then the follow ups to people like you. I enjoy it. I enjoy thinking.////OHJ RESPONSE: You do a lot of work on these Winning Words, which why they are so fun and interesting to read. I love to ponder them!!

FROM JE IN MICHIGAN: I saw “The Thinker” at Rodin’s museum in Paris. http://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/collections/sculptures/thinker It was amazing sitting in this gorgeous rose garden. With the pace at which life happens in our society, it is nice to be reminded to stop and think.////FROM JACK: In Detroit we can stand on Woodward Avenue and see The Thinker as he sits in front of the Detroit Institute of Arts.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My word, I had no idea that The Thinker was part of The Gates of Hell by Rodin! You come up with the most interesting facts! I'm sure we could all spend more time quietly thinking, instead of rushing about like crazy! "nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so"...Shakespeare. Ponder anew, what the almighty can do!////FROM JACK: I try to "think" of things that would be of interest those who read Winning Words. It begins with things that interest me.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Doyle, Dane, Bernbach put a nice spin on it in their early days of VW advertising. Just a picture of the Beatle underscored by the words "Think small."////FROM JACK: I read that the idea was used to promote the VW Beetle. Ad peopel sure do know hos to "turn a phrase."

FROM S&S IN ILLINOIS: We saw "The Gates of Hell" at the Rodin garden museum in Paris. It is an AMAZING work of art! And disturbing, too!////FROM JACK: I had the same feeling. Maybe that's what Rodin wanted.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you've just ruined my appreciation of Rodin's "The Thinker" Actually, I'm in a state of shock--what could Rodin's life have been like when he was sculpting his statue? Always imagined more that "The Thinker" was thinking about philosophy or soaring thoughts of some kind. But suppose a person could be watching people suffer in hell and be able at the same time to think about heaven. Dear me, dear me. What WW you have given us to ponder today.
S.H. in MI