Friday, May 11, 2012

Winning Words 5/11/12
"Sometimes you can’t see yourself clearly until you see yourself through the eyes of others.” (Ellen DeGeneres) Robert Burns, in his poem, “To a Louse,” says that to see ourselves as others see us is a gift of God. Sometimes that gift is a wife or a husband. A friend who lives overseas occasionally will write and describe how the USA is perceived in that place. I don’t always like it, but I guess Ellen is right. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: We were just talking about this in Bible study Monday night. About how Jesus said there are really only 2 commandments--to love God and to love our neighbor but then when we thought about that "love is kind, love is patient, does not demand its own way"...so forth we started realizing that we might think whatever situation we're in with whomever is quite justified and righteous but the other person might be seeing us as impatient, unkind, controlling, etc. I guess Ellen is right too.////FROM JACK: It's always nice to see Winning Words through your eyes. You seem to capture the idea and relate it to your life.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I like Ellen's comment. From most of the things I've seen about her, I've generally had a perception of wacky humor, but it's good to hear something serious from her. Perhaps I should just observe her in other contexts to judge her more accurately.////FROM JACK: As with most comedians, you have to read between the lines in order to get the message. In our own lives, we are are who we were. For me, I've found Ellen to be more than a jokester, just as you are more than an architect, and I am more than a pastor.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: "Sometimes, others are wrong." Song, You Might be Wrong, inspired by a famous politician, by Paul Thorn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFRM4oJwLdc Looking through the "eyes" of others may not be too helpful, if they are wrong. Boxer turned songwriter performer. "Everybody thinks God is on their side."////FROM JACK: It's not a perfect world. One reason why we seek other opinions is because we're not sure of our own, or because we seek validation. Either way, there's the possibility of being wrong. To do nothing could be wrong, too. C'est la vie!////MORE JON: Sometimes, to do nothing is sweet relief to those we think we are "helping." Not always, but sometimes.////JACK: Yes, that's a possibility.

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: Very,very interesting ! I am going to remember that today...////FROM JACK: I hope that your memory span is longer than one day. Seriously, it's a better world when people are able to see themselves through the eyes of others.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Everyone sees everyone differently... who's 2 say whose view is more "right"? ////FROM JACK: There is no right/wrong. The information is subjective, and you take it/give it in that way. Sometimes when someone expresses a viewpoint, you "take it with a grain of salt." If you respect the one who is expressing the view, you take it more seriously. Often we would wish for more black and white in this world, instead of so much gray.////LIZ: Grey is much more interesting! I never pay a whole lot of attention 2 what people think of others bc it is totally subjective.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I read that the closest we ever come to perfection, is when we write our resumes! Ha! I miss my spouse and my twin in regard to getting a candid insight into my behavior! I did have a veteran teacher take me aside once and give me advice, when she felt I was dominating and overshadowing my team of teachers. I never forgot it! Robbie Burns was so right.. Hopefully, with age, comes increased sensitivity as to how we wear with others, or we'd be pretty lonesome!! :-)////FROM JACK: Your use of the word, candid, reminds me of Candid Camera. We laugh at others. I wonder if they laugh at us?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I guess that I am not that philosophical. I have never thought about what other people think of me. I just want to do what I think is right. The peer thing was never in my vocabulary. By the way, when I was at Barnes and Noble today, two things struck me. First of all,people were trying to get specific parenting books but they were all out and had to place orders. In our times, Dr. Spock was in, but I never went along with the beginning of his book about permissiveness. But the medical advice was very helpful. Parents need a lot of common sense. Also, one of the most popular little children's books today is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. In our day it was The Little Engine That Could. Do you remember those days? ////FROM JACK: To see ourselves through the eyes of others is meant to be a helpful (not judgmental) thing. I've found that what I see/think can be helped by processing other viewpoints. I still think that The Little Engine is one of the best books written.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about this in Bible study Monday night. About how Jesus said there are really only 2 commandments--to love God and to love our neighbor but then when we thought about that "love is kind, love is patient, does not demand its own way"...so forth we started realizing that we might think whatever situation we're in with whomever is quite justified and righteous but the other person might be seeing us as impatient, unkind, controlling, etc. I guess Ellen is right too. Have a very nice Mother's Day weekend.
S.H. in MI