Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Winning Words 4/4/12
“To the timid and hesitating everything is impossible, because it seems so.” (Sir Walter Scott) Back in the days when the funnies were really funny, I liked The Timid Soul, whose wimpy star was named Caspar Milquetoast. When asked by the census taker if he’s the head of the household, The Timid Soul glances at his wife before answering. Any timid soul should read, The Power of Positive Thinking. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I've heard of Caspar Milquetoast but I have never read the funnies. I miss the funny funnies....most of them aren't funny at all. There aren't too many, if any, Milquetoasts in the family. I'm pretty positive on that point. ////FROM JACK: Can you think of other comics where the name of the strip describes the character? Blondie, for example. Smilin' Jack is another.

FROM YOOPER FLICKER: THANK YOU, JACK...I NEEDED THAT THIS A.M........////FROM JACK: ...or, as your Finnish neighbors often say, "SISU!"

FROM HONEST JOHN: Why not read something Christian like the NT?////FROM JACK: That's a good idea! How about the words of Jesus, "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth?"////JOHN RESPONDS: Just move down a bit and read about those who suffer for righteousness sake....positive thinking is an aspect of the Christian faith....The Power of Positive Thinking is a distortion of it because it pushes positivism over the Theology of the Cross....////FROM JACK: I benefit from reading the Bible, and I benefit from reading a variety of other books.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Quite a bit of stuff I do I'm timidly shaking inside but do them anyway. Go on gut instincts and resist hesitating. But am really timid about getting a mountain to go into the sea, that still seems quite impossible to me. Whatever did Jesus mean?!!!!!////FROM JACK: The parables of Jesus were not meant to give us overt answers, but to cause us to search for the hidden answers.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Ah yes! That book helped me so much as a young wife and mother. I had to learn to sing SOLOS , b/cuz my twin had moved clear out to the state of Washington. I gained so much confidence by memorizing Dr. Peale's adages!! Casper Milquetoast...that used to be a household name: What fun to remember! We all came off pretty confident and self-sufficient, in comparison! :-)////FROM JACK: Another Caspar-type was Wally Cox, as Mr. Peepers. I don't think that anyone called you a "shrinking violet." When did you last hear that expression?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Timid backwards is dim it. Odd.////FROM JACK: Chester, spelled backwards, is Retsehc, Odd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quite a bit of stuff I do I'm timidly shaking inside but do them anyway. Go on gut instincts and resist hesitating. But am really timid about getting a mountain to go into the sea, that still seems quite impossible to me. Whatever did Jesus mean?!!!!!
S.H. in MI