Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Winning Words 4/3/12
“A goal should scare you a little and excite you a lot.” (Joe Vitale) I recently read this about goal-setting. It involves establishing specific, measureable, achievable, realistic and time-targeted goals (S.M.A.R.T.). A friend of mine is in training to compete in an Ironman Triathlon. He’s excited about it. That’s never been on my “to-do list.” Goals are good for us, but we must be S.M.A.R.T. when we set them. ;-) Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: At St. Mark's here in Tampa there is an organization called SMARTS for St. Mark's Active Retired Trend Setters. The do day trips, cruises, and other things like cards and pool.'////FROM JACK: Our bus line is called SMART...Southeast Michigan Area Rapid Transit. Acronyms are fun.

FROM PASTY PAT: Oh my --- as is so often the case with WWs, this one is perfect timing! I'm toying with a new goal but am still in the stage of 'scares me a lot' as well as excites me a lot. And I have to decide whether its realistic (do I have the necessary skills) or am I just a coward.////FROM JACK: A hymn by Dallin Oaks:
It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle’s front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I’ll go where you want me to go.
////PASTY'S RESPONSE: Thank you, thank you --- that's exactly the reminder I needed! I'll let you know as pieces come together.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I sent this on to my kids and grandson, who all lead in various ways, and printed it out to keep in mind! Achievable might be the key word, although Larry Page (founder of Google) says "It is often easier to make progress on mega-ambitious dreams. Since no one else is crazy enough to do it, you have little competition." Another viewpoint.... Thanks for your Wise Words...another WW!////FROM JACK: Jeremiah 1:7 was chosen to be our seminary class verse. We went into the ordained ministry with that in mind. The whole Jeremiah book is worth reading when we wonder about God's activity in our life.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I set a goal each day....it could be as simple as finishing a scrapbook page or as hard as tackling the basement storage room. It keeps me active and up and moving. That's something that is sometimes every hard for me. It is fun to set the goal but the hard part is making sure it's done before the day is over. Tonight, we are teaching Scouting songs to a group of leaders. Should be fun! Lots of goals this week but no thoughts of running any marathons. LOL////FROM JACK: I still remember the "campfire songs" that someone bothered to teach us at the YMCA Camp Hauberg.

FROM DR. J: like it!////FROM JACK: A typical response from a goal setter and acheiver.











No comments: