Monday, April 30, 2012

Winning Words 4/30/12
“The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.” (Joseph Campbell) I saw a list of phobias that people have…530 of them. One that is mentioned often these days is xenophobia. Sometimes, as we understand our fears, we find that there’s no bogeyman. I’ve found some treasure situations when I’ve faced up to my fears. How about you? Have you discovered positives when the negatives have been removed? ;-) Jack

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: There are certainly things which make good sense to fear, or maybe better phrased as, to respect. But Campbell is on the mark here --- as usual. David Whyte has a wonderful poem titled: The Faces At Braga. In the poem he describes "the fierce figure above the door" which is intended to scare away evil, and yet seems to scare away the good people too! One of his other great lines is, "if only we knew what the Carver knew; how the flaws in the wood lead His chisel to the very core, we would smile too, and not..." to fear or hide, or cover our flaws ---but instead to celebrate them! ....for the Lord is with me. And, think of all that comes with that! ////FROM JACK: How did you come upon this interesting poem? As I read it, I came upon these interesting words...
If only our own faces
would allow the invisible carver's hand
to bring the deep grain of love to the surface.
If only we knew
as the carver knew, how the flaws
in the wood led his searching chisel to the very core,
we would smile, too
and not need faces immobilized
by fear and the weight of things undone.
////RG AGAIN: I became familiar with David Whyte in the early 90's. He has several wonderful poems, and books of poetry (The Well of Grief, also by David Whyte, addresses the "avoided cave" experience that you highlight in today's WWs: "those who will not slip beneath the still surface...will never know the cool, clear water..., nor see the coins shimmering thrown by those who wished for something else"). Moral: one must immerse oneself in the experience, even if it appears detestable or unpleasant, to know of the richness and refreshment it offers. While others merely give the experience lip service, or throw their coins into a " wishing well", those who are truly alive throw themselves!


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: We had a saying when I was in school..."Stranger Danger". It was meant to keep kids from being harmed and going with someone who was out to harm them. Strangely, most harm isn't done by strangers, but by people we know. It's human nature to be fearful...even of caves and strangers. Thankfully, we have the knowledge one day this will all pass away and we will no longer have to face any fears...real or imaginary.////FROM JACK: In an earlier time, these words were written: "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." (Hebrews 13:2) It's unfortunate that our fears prevent us from having interesting encounters. My wife's grandmother would always provide sandwiches and cold water to the hobos who hopped off of the freight trains that passed her house. She took the words of Hebrews literally. Times change.////MORE FROM OHJ: My dad never turned anyone away. We always had someone at dinner or overnight. He only saw the good in people and it worked for him. We never had any problems with anyone he helped. And, as I have said before, my parents took in a lot of kids who had nowhere to go.

FROM KKG IN MICHIGAN: "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is a wonderful book about finding treasure where we least expect it. The quote reminds me of the book. I rarely comment but try to read your Winning Words every day. They are always very thought provoking. Thank you. ////FROM JACK: After your response, I went "treasure hunting" and looked up a synopsis of The Alchemist. Thanks for giving me the clue.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: No.////FROM JACK: Well, I guess you can't win 'em all, but you can keep on trying.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I'm dealing with a cave I fear to enter currently. It's a cave where I need to learn new skills and abilities, gain new knowledge and confidence. The trouble is--the person who is in line to teach me is practically an expert and sometimes now I think he's forgotten what it was like to need to learn. It's a little hairy and frustrating for both of us but with God's help hope we can both be wiser about each others' abilities and be more tolerant of each others' weaknesses and also hope that we get to that there treasure of success in learning where we'll both feel a lot of satisfaction and even more self-confidence and confidence in each other. And we'll get our project done for the good of the community!!!!!!////FROM JACK: I guess you have to enter the cave, if you're going to find the treasure.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: In "A Father's Book of Wisdom" (Jack Brown) he says "The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about." I suppose in the case of xenophobia it would be amended "To FEAR something you know nothing about..." Good quote, as usual. I'm not a fearful person as a rule, but can remember overcoming my trepidation about handling reptiles in Mr. Arnold's biology class at MHS, and also the big constrictor brought to my kindergarten class. I'm thankful to be a curious person, and usually willing to try the unknown experience! Like taking the balloon ride for my 65th b.day, and bungee jumping on the 70th., and riding the BIGGEST, FASTEST, roller-coaster at 6 Flags, at the urging of my 8th graders on our year end field trip, at 60, the year I retired from teaching full time...Bring it on! HA! OOOPS!!!////FROM JACK: George H W Bush celebrated his 85th birthday making a parachute jump. You could do that...or make a bungee jump.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: That's the principle of the v\battery... negative attracts positive. Let there be light!////FROM JACK: When God said, "Let there be light," I wonder what size of battery he was intending to use?


3 comments:

Ray Gage said...

There are certainly things which make good sense to fear, or maybe better phrased as, to respect. But Campbell is on the mark here --- as usual. David Whyte has a wonderful poem titled: The Faces At Braga. In the poem he describes "the fierce figure above the door" which is intended to scare away evil, and yet seems to scare away the good people too! One of his other great lines is, "if only we knew what the Carver knew; how the flaws in the wood lead His chisel to the very core, we would smile too, and not..." to fear or hide, or cover our flaws ---but instead to celebrate them!

....for the Lord is with me. And, think of all that comes with that!

KKG in Michigan said...

"The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is a wonderful book about finding treasure where we least expect it. The quote reminds me of the book. I rarely comment but try to read your Winning Words every day. They are always very thought provoking. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm dealing with a cave I fear to enter currently. It's a cave where I need to learn new skills and abilities, gain new knowledge and confidence. The trouble is--the person who is in line to teach me is practically an expert and sometimes now I think he's forgotten what it was like to need to learn. It's a little hairy and frustrating for both of us but with God's help hope we can both be wiser about each other's abilities and be more tolerant of each other weaknesses and also hope that we get to that there treasure of success in learning where we'll both feel a lot of satisfaction and even more self-confidence and confidence in each other. And we'll get our project done for the good of the community!!!!!!