Friday, March 09, 2012

Winning Words 3/9/12
“If I could save time in a bottle…I’d save every day like a treasure.” (Jim Croce) We lose an hour on Sunday when Daylight Savings Time goes into effect, but we’ll be getting it back in the fall. When Ben Franklin came up with the DST idea in 1784, he was told to go fly a kite. Dairy farmers say that cows refuse to follow the change. Jim Croce’s words are poignant. Time really is a treasure. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Thanks for the information about Ben Franklin. Surprising how old the idea is. ////FROM JACK: Other Franklin Firsts...Franklin Stove...Bi-Focals...Catheter...Lightning Rod...Professional Fire Department.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I first heard that song in a movie called She Lives! It was about a young couple struggling with cancer in the woman and she overcomes it. I think it was the response to the movie Love Story where Ali McGraw’s character dies.////FROM JACK: That song appeals to me in many ways--the sound of the tune, the message in the lyrics, the life story of Jim Croce. It cause me to think and to remember.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: every single moment no matter what it holds.////FROM JACK: Your response reminds me of "Every Breath You Take." Which version do you like best...Sting or The Police? It can be the song that sticks in your mind today.

FROM HONEST JOHN IN MICHIGAN: I'm like the cows....I just pretend it hasn't happened....then in the Fall, I let that happen so I become a big winner!!!////FROM JACK: Maybe you can try that with some other things that tend to upset you. Just pretend that they didn't happen, and eventually they'll just go away.

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: It is not just the cows that can't tell time, Mother Nature goes by her time also. ////FROM JACK: Wouldn't it be funny to see Jesus wearing a wristwatch? Would it be a Rolex or a Timex? ////MORE FROM MEDD: I wonder if we can fool Mother Nature by every time she starts a quick storm we just set our clocks ahead an hour, call it daylight savings time and we will miss the storm.////FROM JACK: There are some people who, recently, would like to have been able to do that.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: Time can be a great distraction to our focus on the Eternal. It's easy to do as humans; for it is the "world" in which we find ourselves! I believe, that deep down, our souls know of the eternal and long for the unrestricted Life the Eternal provides. In this season of Lent, or we might say the Advent of our Salvation, I am increasingly grateful for the eternal life provided my soul through the Love of Christ. ////FROM JACK: Thanks for your Lenten perspective. On another note, what will people, who are easily bored, do when they experience eternal life...or death?

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Isn't it interesting that the only thing all of us have in common is a 24 hr day. No one has more and no one has less [except when we are called from this life]. The real difference is what we do with those 24 hrs., we never get to relive them once they fly by they are gone. It seems to me we really ought to be careful how we spend our time. but are we?????????????////FROM JACK: Each of us has our own 24 hours, none exactly like anyone else's. How we respond to them is a choice that is ours alone.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: One of the best songs ever written.////FROM JACK: I guess a song writer should know. I'm a song listener, and I agree.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Cows are smart. I like to fall back but I don't like to "Spring" forward.////FROM JACK: I always try to go to bed an hour early in the spring changeover. It works.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My Sweet Adelines Barbershop Chorus sang that song in concert. It is beautiful, and meaningful. Time goes so fast, we often look back on a blur of events! How fast our kids grew up, how even faster the "grands" grew, and now the "Great-Grands" take the speed record! At least my husband was more sensitive than the woman (Beth Geffers) in Oshkosh, WI, who on her 40th birthday, waltzed out of her bedroom dressed in an old outfit. "I wore this on my 30th birthday...I guess this means my wardrobe is 10 yrs. old" she said, hoping her husband would get the hint and buy her some clothes as a present. "Or", he offered, "it means when you were 30, you had the body of a 40-yr-old." :-( Always something to be thankful for! Ha!////FROM JACK: There are many time-themed songs. As Time Goes By...Turn, Turn, Turn...Cat's In the Cradle...Sleepytime Gal...I Didn't Know What Time It Was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information about Ben Franklin. Surprising how old the idea is.
S.H. in MI

Ray Gage said...

Time can be a great distraction to our focus on the Eternal. It's easy to do as humans; for it is the "world" in which we find ourselves! I believe, that deep down, our souls know of the eternal and long for the unrestricted Life the Eternal provides. In this season of Lent, or we might say the Advent of our Salvation, I am increasingly grateful for the eternal life provided my soul through the Love of Christ.