Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Winning Words 3/20/12
“People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” (Rogers Hornsby) Some of you might not know that Hornsby was one of the greatest baseball players of all time. Baseball was his life, his passion. Do you have a passion? “Passion” is derived from Latin and means to have a compelling desire for something. Spring? Baseball? ;-) Jack

FROM PC IN MICHIGAN: Writing (grammar) and Singing...those are my passions. :)////FROM JACK: Passions have changed for me through the years. Right now, Winning Words (and the blog) are my passion. Why else would I get up at 5 am every day (6 am on Sat and Sun)? Work has always been a passion, since I was a teen. I remember that I was an early riser in those days, too. I like grammar and spelling, too.

FROM SAINT JAMES: That's a good question...I'll have to think about it...////FROM JACK: That's why God created us with brains...to think about things.

FROM TRI-HARDER: As I recall, the best single season batting average for a second baseman. .420////FROM JACK: The rarest and most expensive baseball card has Honus Wagner's picture on it. The first bat with a player's signature on it was a Honus Wagner bat. OOPS, how did I go from Rogers Hornsby to Honus Wagner?

FROM HONEST JOHN: Hornsby played for the Cubs for a couple of seasons....we used to win back then.... ////FROM JACK: In the mid 30s is when I first became a Cubs fan.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I can't help but think of the Twins and Mother!////FROM JACK: Isn't it interesting to have moms who are such avid baseball fans. One of the highlights for my mother was when she was interviewed by Harry Carray and Ron Santo during a Cubs' broadcast.



No comments: