Friday, February 03, 2012

Winning Words 2/3/12
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burden of it to anyone else.” (Charles Dickens) I read recently that each of us will be, or will need, a caregiver in our lifetime. A survey shows that 60% say that being a caregiver is extremely rewarding. “I’m just doing what that person would do for me.” I’m sure that most of us can relate stories of seeing that kind of “caring” in action. ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I've been a Stephens Minister over and over and over again and have in every single instance been truly awed by people's response to God and how that in turn ripples throughout the community in more hope and more love and more trust and faithfulness. Nothing, not even old age will ever be that fearful for me again. Thanks for your WW. I didn't know Charles Dickens could write so brightly of the human spirit. ////FROM JACK: The "What ifs..." connected with aging can be a heavy burden.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: The best cure for your blues is to help someone else. ////FROM JACK: Blue is an interesting word. You've suggested a way by which to turn "the blues" into "blue skies."

FROM KB IN MICHIGAN: I always enjoy your message--I especially like this one. Thank You////FROM JACK: I sometimes wonder as I write Winning Words...."Is this good enough?" Thanks for letting me know that for you, today, it was good enough.////MORE FROM KB: I think that on any given day your words lighten someone's burden.////FROM JACK: It's like with Johnny Appleseed. He threw out the seeds and hoped that some apples would result.


FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Being a Caregiver is almost always more rewarding than being a care receiver. Yet, I think the latter is perhaps the most difficult....except, of course, when you have the flu!!!////FROM JACK: Being a caregiver is better than saying, "I coulda; I shoulda."

FROM IKE AT THE MIC: Along the same thought is Emerson's poem on Success which ends with: "To know that another human being breathes a bit easier because you have lived-makes you a success" (that poem might be a good prayer for an upcoming Optimist breakfast?}..////FROM JACK: Prayers are meant to express our feelings to G-d. Optimists are not always optimists. Emerson's poem could be an encouragement.
“Success” Ralph Waldo Emerson
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I am most grateful to those who have cared for me or I them during various illnesses and/or recoveries. There is nothing so humbling as caring for someone or being cared for while at their weakest.////FROM JACK: There's nothing wrong with being weak and humble. I once read that "A reasonable amount of fleas is good for a dog. It keeps him from brooding about being a dog"

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am a caregiver for a friend's mom w/alzheimer's. Thanks to the Exelon patch (highly recommended) & TLC from a gr8 team of caregivers, she is able 2 remain in her home & has the best quality of life possible. This is not my "chosen field," but due to the economy & the desire to help good friends, I realize I am doing God's work & find it rewarding.////FROM JACK: I've found that "choices" other than my own, were often the better choices in my life. What could be better than helping a friend and working to provide some the best quality of life possible? In the end, what really counts?

FROM MOLINER JT: My "caregiver" stories go on forever. I have the worlds GREATEST.////FROM JACK: I remember that the Moline Dispatch printed a story about you and your caregiver. Inspiring

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Caregiving is truly rewarding. I could write a book on it!////FROM JACK: I remember seeing some of that caregiving at work. "Love is something that you do."

FROM SS IN MICHIGAN: I just got a chance to read your e-mail and it reminded me of the Christmas Story that I relayed at our company Christmas Party on 12-18-11. Each year, the owner of our company asks me to lead the prayer prior to dinner. I always tell a short story about the season prior to the prayer. This year since I had just come back from Norway, so I spoke of a time with my Dad in Norway at Christmas in 1959. Lessons come to us all in so many different ways and at times you least expect it. This one has stuck with me all my life.////FROM JACK: I was just reading Yogi Berra's book, "You Can Observe A Lot By Just Watching." Evidently you were watching 1n 1959.////MORE FROM SS: Thanks. It always amazes me that as I get older I remember more and more of the subtle lessons taught to me by parents, pastors and teachers. You can never tell when your actions will impact someone's life.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been a Stephens Minister over and over and over again and have in every single instance been truly awed by people's response to God and how that in turn ripples throughout the community in more hope and more love and more trust and faithfulness. Nothing, not even old age will ever be that fearful for me again.
Thanks for your WW. I didn't know Charles Dickens could write so brightly of the human spirit.
S.H. in MI