Thursday, February 02, 2012

Winning Words 2/2/12
“If winter comes, can spring be far behind?” (Percy Buysshe Shelley) Today I will do my annual Feb 2nd thing…watch the movie, Groundhog Day. It signals to me that spring is just around the corner. Those who know poetry say that Shelley’s words have two messages. The more popular one is that it’s a message of hope. That’s the way I see it. The other is resignation. Life goes on. What’s your vote? ;-) Jack

FROM TRI-HARDER: (5:14 am) I just saw the gathering in PA. It's a mild morning as they await the sunrise. Great movie.////FROM JACK: Question for the day...Why is that some people like "that" movie, and others don't?

FROM MARY AT TREASURE ISLAND, FLORIDA: I vote for hope--////FROM JACK: Treasure Island was one of my favorite "kid" stories. It caused me to imagine. Is hope part of imagination?

FROM ONE OF THE BILLS: Hope for sure! I love Groundhog day, although I wouldn't want to be caught in that cycle!////FROM JACK: Bill Murray wasn't too happy about being caught in that cycle, but, in the end, things turned out OK. Maybe I like the film, because I like happy endings.

FROM MV IN MICHIGAN: I have always believed it was a message of hope, although as I get older the resignation thing creeps in. Groundhog Day was my mother’s birthday so it will always have extra meaning for me. I’m reading a book on hope. It is called “Every Day a Friday” by Joel Osteen. It is a great book that helps me get through some of these “resignation” days.////FROM JACK: My book would be "Every Day a Monday," because the week ought to begin with an attitude of hope, rather than resignation. On Mondays, I try to create Winning Words messages with that in mind.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Message of hope.////FROM JACK: It's too early to project a winner, but the polls seem to indicate that "hope" will be the winner.

FROM CS IN WISCONSIN: While watching Groundhog Day, be sure to remember you are walking around Woodstock, IL. The hotel is our Opera House, the house he is staying in belonged to one of my quilting friends, the ice sculptures are done on The Square in the center of town, where he steps off the curb was just about in front of the quilt shop that I worked in for a few years after the movie was filmed. I was working in a lawyers’ office up the street from that spot. Happy Groundhog Day! I think spring is already here with our spring like weather. Life will go on no matter what the groundhogs predict!////FROM JACK: My viewing of the movie won't be the same this year, because I'll be thinking of Woodstock instead of Punxsutawney and looking for you in the background.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: well...i think to be a hopeful person a bit of resignation is required.////FROM JACK: I'm a cockeyed optimist. I suppose you know (and can sing) this song from South Pacific.
When the skies are brighter canary yellow
I forget ev'ry cloud I've ever seen,
So they called me a cockeyed optimist
Immature and incurably green.

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead,
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist
And I can't get it into my head.

I hear the human race
Is fallin' on its face
And hasn't very far to go,
But ev'ry whippoorwill
Is sellin' me a bill,
And tellin' me it just ain't so.

I could say life is just a bowl of Jello
And appear more intelligent and smart,
But I'm stuck like a dope
With a thing called hope,
And I can't get it out of my heart!
Not this heart..

MORE FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: oh and, i heard tavis smiley use the following words. thought they were worth pondering. "let's turn our hope into usable action!"////FROM JACK: You cause me to think...Is hope and action word? The same for dreams and desires. Is their value dependent on following up?

TRI-HARDER FOLLOW UP: Why do some people like sushi and others don't? Different strokes for different folks.////FROM JACK: Why do I say that I don't like sushi, when I've never tried it?

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: One of my favorite movies!////FROM JACK: I've got it cued up and ready to go. Every February 2 is "Groundhog Day" for me.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Spring is always TOO far behind. Just when some pleasant days come along and Spring seems imminent, bitter weather returns and we must resign ourselves to more waiting. But to answer your question about Shelley's message, I vote for "hope". Shelley died at age 30...too young to be resigned to anything.////FROM JACK: Maybe Spring is an attitude, rather than a season. BTW, How about the early death of Jesus? Hope or resignation?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I agree that it is HOPE!///FROM JACK: I've met several people with the name, Hope. Do you remember Hope Lange, the movie and TV actress?

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Unless one views spring as a negative, the message is of hope, not resignation. ////FROM JACK: As with much of life, the point of view depends on where you're standing.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Today was my grandfather's birthday. He was my dad's dad. Unfortunately, he died of pneumonia when my dad was 14. My dad contracted the pneumonia and in order or my grandmother to keep him alive, the doctor cut a hole in his back for drainage and so my grandmother could breathe air into his one remaining lung. When us kids were little, my dad told us the scar from from being shot by an Indian arrow. We of course, believed him. It still makes me laugh. Anyway, Happy Groundhog Day...Gary's favorite movie. We watch it over and over and over and over and over....... Spring is coming!!!////FROM JACK: I've never heard of mouth to back resuscitation before. I can see that kids would be impressed with the arrow story.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I HATE groundhogs and shoot them regularly. I live in an acre and across the street from 40 brush ND tree covered acres. Guess where the choose to dig. Not 10 feet from my house, tunneling under the brick patio, when then caves in. This has been going on for years. I have at least 20 notches in my holster. Don't tell me about groundhogs!. If he pokes his head out today, he gets shot.////FROM JACK: I know that you're just kiddin' around.

FROM PH VACATIONING IN MESA: i vote for hope. always...////FROM JACK: Is "hope" a word that says, "I am sure," or does it mean, "I hope so?"

FROM PRDL IN OREGON: I vote for HOPE! Thanks for the continued inspiration. ////FROM JACK: Hope wins ... as always!

FROM JT IN MICHIGAN: HOPE! Along with the knowledge that I'm not in control.////FROM JACK: Another vote for Hope. The majority of those who read WWs are not hope-less.





2 comments:

bill said...

Hope for sure! I love Groundhog day, although I wouldn't want to be caught in that cycle!

Anonymous said...

Message of hope.
S.H. in MI