Friday, February 17, 2012

Winning Words 2/17/12
“I have always found that mercy bears richer fruit than strict justice.” (A. Lincoln) Lincoln was often criticized for the use of his pardoning power. Jesus was also criticized for saying to a man, “Your sins are forgiven.” If there were strict justice, there’d be no Little League “Mercy Rule,” and heaven would be empty. Grace is a hard concept, because it doesn’t seem fair. Has grace had a place in your life? ;-) Jack

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: It is important that you say "Strict Justice" because there are some out there who are ruling justice out completely.....left wingers want only "mercy"....right wingers want "order" and if you have to step on justice to get order so be it.....let's go for justice and when the time comes be willing to temper it with mercy.////FROM JACK: I wonder...Is there such a thing as "strict" mercy? I'm one of those "wingers" who like to have some wriggle room.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Lincoln's WW are so true. I have from time-to-time in my life chosen to leave Jesus out of my life and take on the stripes he took on for all of us, take them on to myself, feeling myself to be the necessary person dying for my sins, plunging myself into an abyss so dark it's pathetic. But each time, and God has been faithful in this, He sends His grace and sets me on a right course again, especially through His messengers, and I believe His course of action has brought richer fruit than if He would have done something much less difficult for me to accept but still totally appropriate for my creatureliness. Thanks for inviting all of us readers of your blog to reflect upon this.////FROM JACK: Dietrich Bonhoeffer wrote about the mistake of "cheap grace." Those who have really experienced the need for grace (to give or receive), know that it is not cheap.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: Grace and Mercy and Justice all differentiate themselves, one from another, at crucial points in the process. When God refrains from obliterating me, as some might rightly say I deserve, His act would veer from Justice to Mercy. In the meantime, I can truly say that I have been flooded with His Grace throughout my existence! If I have to choose, I'll take Mercy. I need Faith that I will not receive the Justice I deserve, and find God's Mercy through the favored Grace afforded me through Jesus' redeeming sacrifice. Passover captures this whole concept indeed!////FROM JACK: One thing I like about G-d is that he is able to differentiate between grace, mercy and justice and apply each at the right circumstance and at the right time. I trust his judgment.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: You can pardon some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't pardon all of the people all of the time. (Abe Lincoln)////FROM JACK: I've read that many of the sayings attributed to Lincoln were never said by him. Your reply is probably one of them.

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: I will try to remember, and possibly, mention this at our next Homeowner's Association Board Meeting, where I am the "softie". My ecumenical mantra is that we are Neighbors First and Board Members second. Others seem to prefer a more strict fiduciary responsibility and have a greater appreciation for "slippery slopes". I do understand, but do not see the two as mutually exclusive... in general. However, when it comes to specifics, the twain do not always meet.////FROM JACK: The Parable of the Good Samaritan was Jesus' answer to the question, "Who is my neighbor?" It was asked by the Pharisees (the legalists).

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: If for no other reason than a selfish one-- it makes you feel better to forgive. As I hope others forgive me...////FROM JACK: We are to forgive as God forgives. I wonder. Does God have feelings, or is that only a human condition? Maybe Jesus (God in human form) can help us answer that question. It is recorded that "Jesus wept" when he heard that Lazarus, his friend, had died.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: I hear what AL is saying but I think I prefer the words of Micah 6:8////FROM JACK: I hear what you're saying, but both Abe and Micah raise the same questions: What is justice and what is mercy? Love is the answer. But that raises the question, What is love?

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I like this: JUSTICE is when you get what you deserve. MERCY is when you don't get what you deserve, and GRACE is when you get what you don't deserve. Succinct and true! As Philip Yancy's book asked, "What's so Amazing About Grace?" Everything!////FROM JACK: I "may" have heard this before, but I don't remember when pr where. Thanks for the reminder of a concise definition of the differences between the words.

FROM BS NEAR ORLANDO: I do not want to tell the Good Lord how to do his job, but I don't think he would pardon them as he wouldn't pardon Hitler and his gang of hoodlums., or Asaid in Syria or his father. I am so greatful to the Good Lord that I was born in the U.S.A.Again, Than k You Lord Jesus, Thank U. U R such a wonderful person. I try every day to live up to your stds. Sorry sir, but I will keep trying. Damn damn damn. I really don't think Heaven would be M T , there R too many kind, gentle people who do good deeds that we hear and read about, every day.////FROM JACK: The whole point of grace, as I understand it, is that the population of heaven solely determined by an omniscient God and not by the things we do. (Ephesians 2:8-9) - "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."



1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Grace and Mercy and Justice all differentiate themselves, one from another, at crucial points in the process. When God refrains from obliterating me, as some might rightly say I deserve, His act would veer from Justice to Mercy. In the meantime, I can truly say that I have been flooded with His Grace throughout my existence! If I have to choose, I'll take Mercy. I need Faith that I will not receive the Justice I deserve, and find God's Mercy through the favored Gace afforded me through Jesus' redeeming sacrifice. Passover captures this whole concept indeed!