Friday, January 06, 2012

Winning Words 1/6/12
“A teacher’s day is half bureaucratic, half crisis, half monotony and 1/8 epiphany. Never mind the arithmetic.” (Susan Ohanian) The word, epiphany, is from the Greek, and means to “show forth.” Jake, in The Blues Brothers, had an epiphany moment when he said, “I’ve seen the light!” What’s makes a teacher’s day enjoyable is when a pupil “gets it.” That’s what teaching is all about, Charlie Brown. ;-) Jack

FRIM RB IN MICHIGAN: What a perfect lead in for an Epiphany message!!! You really know how to inspire with the use of the gospel in such a subtle way. He loves us so very much He gave His best! (a simple epiphany) ////FROM JACK: I'm glad that you noticed. Thanks May you have an epiphany experience today.

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: Ha! I was shaking my head at the math before I finished reading the quote! Funny. My daughter, the teacher, will love this one.////FROM JACK: It's that way with teachers....so much to do...so little time....but the epiphanies make it worthwhile.

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA: Glad you like The Blues Brothers too.////FROM JACK: Yes, Jake and Elwood are favorites of mine. I know much of the dialog.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: For some crazy reason, all your winning words are now coming to me in the Junk Mail inbox. Yikes! I will have to get that fixed////FROM JACK: That can happen if you do not put me on your "safe sender" list.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Many years ago I read a book on John Belushi's life and times. At one point, Belushi answered a question about 'the source of inspiration' he and Dan Akroyd had had for the Blues Brothers. Belushi told him that Dan had met a guy from Detroit who was involved with a folklore group, was really tall, never said much, and never took off his dark glasses. That person was Dale Ackerman, my brother's best friend, dating back to high school. (He didn't take off his dark glasses even then, and when he did say something, it was either profound or hilarious. Sometimes both. :-)////FROM JACK: I wonder if you can come up with a picture of Dan Ackerman? That is a really interesting story.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: One might say this about being a pastor, too! I'd add "half God thing", though, because it is uncanny how the Holy Spirit breaks into the crises and the bureaucracy. I'd subtract the "half monotony" -- I've never found parish ministry to be monotonous.////FROM JACK: My son once said to his mother, "What dad needs is a boss." He wasn't being critical...just observant. I would rather say that pastors need challengers. When I first entered the ministry, the "bishops" were more pro-active when it came to overseeing their pastors. I personally liked that style.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I forwarded your WW to three teachers I know.////FROM JACK: Teachers need to be bolstered occasionally.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Today is Epiphany Day in Tarpon Springs where the Bishop throws the Cross into the Bayou, and today 54 young men were diving for it. Whoever recovers it, is guaranteed a blessed year. Something happened, though, because after six minutes no on could find it. so another one was thrown in. Eventually,both were found, so two boys, not one, will have a special year.////FROM JACK: I think that the Church could recapture the meaning of "Christmas" by celebrating the birth of Christ on Epiphany, which seems to be the appropriate time. On second thought, the stores would probably latch on to it as another time for holiday buying.

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS: You might add: exhausting, rewarding.////FROM JACK: You just did.

FROM DR IN MICHIGAN: I have several teacher friends, my sister being one of them. I have passed these winning words along to them.////FROM JACK: A long time ago I learned the difference between the spelling and the definition of principal and principle. The school principal should be the "pal" of the students. The same goes for the teachers. Not a peer, but a friend.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forwarded your WW to three teachers I know.
S.H. in MI