Monday, January 23, 2012

Winning Words 1/23/12
“He had the courage to practice what he preached.” (Jerry Sandusky) I’ve read many comments about the death of Joe Paterno, but this one particularly captured my attention. All of us are guilty, at one time or another, of rationalizing our behavior. I think that it can be said of JoePa, “He tried to do his best.” Right or wrong, the ultimate judgment is not ours to make. And I’m perfectly satisfied to leave it at that. ;-) Jack.

FROM STORMIN' NORMAN: GOOD MORNING: GREAT COACH.////FROM JACK: And like most of us...Complex.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Not only are we unqualified to make the ultimate judgment....We are also often unqualified to make some of the judgments we do make. I think a lot of people rushed to judgment on JoePa who didn't know the situation or the facts. I still don't really know what happened and only hope that those who do have to make a judgment will make a good one....////FROM JACK: One of Paterno's former players said, "He's only human." We're in over our head when we try to play God.

FROM RG IN ARIZONA: Amen...and maybe the same applies to Gingrich?////FROM JACK: I'm glad that the ultimate judgment is not up to me. But, like everyone else, I have personal opinions.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: As one who had a niece sexually abused; I'm sure the parents of these boys have a different outlook. It's so sad to know a beloved coach passed away knowing what he knew. If he stood by and didn't stop it; he suffered at the end. If he didn't know it and was accused; he suffered. Hopefully, his suffering has ended and he has a new beginning.////FROM JACK: Death brings closure . God knows!////MORE FROM THE OUTHOUSE: Death brings earthly closures but eternal beginnings.////FROM JACK: Out with the old. In with the new.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I'm satisfied to accept your comments about it and leave it like that. It seems to me the lesson to be learned is that vaunted personalities may be worthy of our admiration but should never be idolized. "Heroes" have flaws too. ////FROM JACK: "Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay." (Daniel 2:31-33)////RI AGAIN: An excellent representation...that's a passage I have never read nor heard read. We truly are degenerate.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Well said////FROM JACK: I tried.

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: Me too!! My husband and I had a conversation last night about this very same thing.////FROM JACK: We each must live the life that is ours. It's hard to live somebody else's, too.

FROM CUZ AL: There were goofy things that happened when we attended college, waaaaaaaay back when! ////FROM JACK: Thanks for the reminder.

FROM NFC IN ILLINOIS: I felt so sad At the way he was forced to leave his coaching position. It did show how fleeting and fickle fame is. Better to forget fame and continue trying to do your best IN SPITE of your press, not because of it. By the way, what were you doing up so early this morning?////FROM JACK: You gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. Decisions are sometimes hard to make, but life is one decision after another. BTW, I usually try to send out Winning Words between 5 and 5:30 so that when the computers are turned on there's a Winning Word for the day...at least a thought-provoking one.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: That is ironic that Sandusky is making that statement. I don't think that I was put on earth to judge anybody, but we all do have to be aware of what is going on in the world. I have been playing all week in Otrlando at Disney, Fort Christmas, and Wide World of Sports, and it seems to be a different world than the one we read about. Tonight the Republican debate will be at USF, and my son-in-law just called to say that there is a lot of unusual activity going on out there. 35 years ago last week we had our only snow here in Tampa in our 49 years here. By the way, the weather is absolutely beautiful.////FROM JACK: I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on the source of the quote. It's interesting how short our attention span is. Penn State...Disney...Christmas...GOP debate...the weather. What will be the headline for tomorrow? BTW, it's cold, rainy and cloudy in West Bloomfield today.


1 comment:

Ray Gage said...

Amen...and maybe the same applies to Gingrich?