Monday, January 16, 2012

Winning Words 1/16/12
“If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice.” (From 1968 sermon by MLK Jr) The King Memorial wording will be changed to reflect what was actually said in the sermon. The band follows the drum major, so it’s important that there be no miscommunication. The Civil Rights march was not to lift up the leader, but to promote justice, peace and righteousness. ;-) Jack

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I saw and heard MLK at the Central Methodist Church in Detroit in the 1960s. He was here as a guest of the Detroit Council of Churches....amazing preacher.////FROM JACK: A lot of people don't know that King gave his "I have a dream" speech in Detroit before it was made famous in Washington. But, I'm sure that's not new info for you.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: Thank you for working to keep Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy clear for posterity. ////FROM JACK: I'm glad that the King Monument wording is being clarified...for the sake of posterity.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I remember when MLK was assassinated. It was a month before my Dad died, and two months before RFK was assassinated. 1968 was a year I'll never forget, I was 10 ten years old.////FROM JACK: I was beginning my ministry at about the same time as MLK Jr was beginning his "crusade." I was trying to figure it all out. In retrospect....

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: SO TRUE !!! AS A CHILD..DAD HAD TO GO WHERE THERE WAS WORK.(IT WAS CALLED THE DEPRESSION.....I WOULD SAY 80% OF THE TIME WAS IN THE DEEP SOUTH..TRYING TO BRING ELECTRICITY.....WHEN I WOULD ASK ABOUT THE 2 FOUNTAINS OF WATER......MY MOTHER WOULD SAY THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE....WE WILL DRINK FROM EITHER OF THEM. WHEN I LEFT AUGIE AS A PARISH WORKER..I ASKED TO GO TO SOUTH SIDE OF CHICAGO WHERE THERE WAS A CHURCH.....THE PASTOR (JOHNSON) HAD COME FROM CALIFORNIA AND HE HAD BEEN TRYING TO HELP THE WORKERS IN THE VEGETABLE FIELDS......."SILLY PEOPLE" WANTED A TOILET.....AND HE TOOK UP THEIR CAUSE. (Sorry to go and on.like this..Martin Luther is one of my heroes.)....FROM JACK: When I asked kids in my confirmation classes about Martin Luther, most of them thought I was talking about MLK Jr. That was OK. Both Martins had good causes to support.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I hope to see the monument when we go up next month for Jacqueline's senior weekend at Georgetown. Two years ago for Michael's senior weekend we had 20 inches of snow. I belonged to the NAACP in the late 40's and early 50's, and the meetings were often held in black churches in Davenport. When I worked in Senator Paul Douglas' office in Moline, I was surprised to read in the Dispatch that the Senator had a separate organization for black voters.////FROM JACK: I don't suppose the wording on the monument will be changed by the time you get there. I'm not surprised that black voters were on a separate listing. Even today the candidates tailor their messages to black, Latino, female, evangelical, pro-life and pro-choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for working to keep Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy clear for posterity.
S.H. in MI