Thursday, December 08, 2011

Winning Words 12/8/11
“If you have one true friend, you have more than your share.” (Thomas Fuller) I once read that “a friend is one who knows the best and the worst in us and loves us just the same.” I also read that “a friend is someone we can go to at any time and not feel like we’re a nuisance.” Do you have a friend like that? Sometimes it’s just one person, or a small circle of friends. Old Proverb: “To have a friend, be a friend.” ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: I have friends who are on the path with me, learning to be authentic and serve the Lord and I am on their paths too. Know that we're all together but I believe the thing that gives us cohesiveness is the Lord and not our limited selves. That even includes my husband--after 47 years of knowing each other, we're still finding out the best and the worst in us and I conclude it has all been God working in us for us to stick with each other like we have. Our marriage is that miracle of water turning into wine. I'm very, very thankful it's like this. Sometimes I know some of us rant and rave on your blog, thanks for putting up with the best and the worst in us too!!!!////FROM JACK: In Sunday School we used to sing: "Friendship with Jesus, fellowship divine..." I enjoyed those times.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Along the same lines, I think it was Ben Franklin who said, "If you want to make a friend, ask a favor." In other words, friends want to help, so give them a chance!////FROM JACK: I have Ben's "Poor Richard's Almanack" in hand, and there's a whole chapter on Friendship. He said: "There are three faithful friends--and old wife, an old dog, and ready money."

FROM IKE AT THE MIC: On that theme my favorite is: "Through life we have friends that come & go, true friends leave footprints on our hearts."////FROM JACK: I have a hard time visualizing "footprints" on the heart, but I can "see" in my mind the face of a friend.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Through the years, fortunately, I have had many friends like that. Some live in other parts of the country now.////FROM JACK: Does a Christmas card list count as a list of friends?

FROM MEDD-O-LANE: I have one friend that has been around for 65 1/2 years, I call her my better half. ////FROM JACK: "More than your share" certainly applies to those of us who have enjoyed marital bliss. Congratulations!

FROM ME IN NEWPORT BEACH: I always read Jack's WW and save selected ones. I will save this one. ////FROM JACK: Occasionally I go back and read past WWs. It's surprising how many of them hit home for me. It's sort of like the sermons I've preached.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I am so fortunate to have a wonderful circle of close friends who have been together since high school. Most of us still live here, but with Facebook, the others still remain in the loop.////FROM JACK: Do Facebook posts take the place of sending Christmas cards? This isn't a negative, but just a "thought" as I contemplate writing Christmas notes.////MORE FROM LIZ: My opinion is good friends are glad to hear from you no matter what the medium. For instance, you and I have never even met, yet we're friends! I love technology. And I'm so glad I "met" you!!!

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: A true friend loves you warts and all.Toady.////FROM JACK: You mis-spelled TODAY.

ROM CWR IN B'MORE: I do .....thank you for being a friend.////FROM JACK: As the song goes..."In good times, in bad times, that's what friends are for."

FFROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: After reading your blog tonight, I have come to the conclusion people have many friends and love them dearly. I married my best friend 33 1/2 years ago. I still have childhood friends and church friends from when I was 4 years old. I also have acquaintances who mean a lot to me too. They will mean something special in their own special ways.////FROM JACK: I think that Facebook has a system where you have to "allow" someone to be your friend. In my experience, friends just connect, without this business of "allowing."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: WOW! JUST ONE? MY H.S. GANG HAS KEPT IN TOUCH AND SHARED AND CARED SINCE 1948! ONLY ELEVEN OF US LEFT, (FROM 20) BUT WE WRITE A ROUND ROBIN LETTER, AND USE THE PHONE AND EMAIL. I HAVE ONE BOSOM BUDDY HERE THAT I TAUGHT WITH FOR YEARS, AND WE DO EVERYTHING TOGETHER, NOW THAT WE'VE LOST OUR BEST BELOVED SPOUSES. GOOD QUOTE. THANK THE LORD FOR FRIENDS, FAMILY AND GOOD FOOD. HA!////FROM JACK: Certain people seem to have a way of reaching out to others in a friendly way. The "twins" seemed to have that knack. Is that innate or learned?

FROM CS IN WISCONSIN: I have several close friends that I can share the good, the bad and the ugly with and vice versa, but I’ve been blessed to have one since we started Sunday School together at the age of three. We have been through a lot together! I’ve lost a couple that I still want to call and share with, but cherish their memories too!////FROM JACK: You are a shining example of the proverbial truth that "to have a friend, be a friend." Your smile helps, too.

FROM FOXY ROXY: I like this one. I try hard to follow what it says.////FROM JACK: You do a pretty good job of it, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have friends who are on the path with me, learning to be authentic and serve the Lord and I am on their paths too. Know that we're all together but I believe the thing that gives us cohesiveness is the Lord and not our limited selves. That even includes my husband--after 47 years of knowing each other, we're still finding out the best and the worst in us and I conclude it has all been God working in us for us to stick with each other like we have. Our marriage is that miracle of water turning into wine. I'm very, very thankful it's like this. Sometimes I know some of us rant and rave on your blog, thanks for putting up with the best and the worst in us too!!!!
S.H. in MI