Monday, December 26, 2011

Winning Words 12/26/11
“Maybe Christmas, the Grinch thought, doesn’t come from a store.” (Dr. Seuss) I I’ve had occasion to write to several friends who have had loved ones die during this holiday season. In my mind, the reason for Christmas is that God wanted to show us the way to eternal life. He did so in the life and teachings of Jesus. That’s the reason for the season. Gift giving/returning is fun, but secondary. ;-) Jack

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Absolutely! Eternal life is the gift of the Reason for the Season. All else is frosting on the cake!////FROM JACK: We have an expression in our household for something that doesn't measure up to the real thing..."It's just a cookie." Compared to the coming of Jesus, the stuff of Christmas is "just a cookie."

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I couldn't agree more with you.////FROM JACK: It's nice to begin the day by hearing from an agreeable person.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: God's gift fits all. No "exchange receipt" required.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! THE GIFT OF FAMILY BEING ALL TOGETHER IS A WONDERFUL ONE! AND FESTIVE AND MEANINGFUL CHURCH SERVICES, AND THE MUSIC! AND OF COURSE THE BOUNTIFUL FOOD AND SNACKS...:-o THOSE OF US WHO HAVE LOST LOVED ONES, ARE BOUND TO THINK OF THE ETERNAL IMPLICATIONS OF CHRISTmas. THE PERSONAL GIFTS ARE A 'COOKIE' (I like that! :-)////FROM JACK: At our church, a baby was baptized on Christmas Eve, and another nine-day old boy experienced his first candlelight Christmas service. An adventure begins for both of them. Ole!

FROM BS NEAR ORLANDO: We watched a session on T.V the other nite about the people in and life in a monastary. Some of the inhabitants said, ( this was on a mountain top ) they were there because they wanted to be closer to Jesus and the Good Lord. And if I understood them, they were anxious to die so they could go to be with the Good Lord. This reminds me of the time I ( used to take Rx out to the Carmalite sisters On Sat. nite or Sunday afternoon or evening ) and one of the sisters was lying in bed and she said she was dieing and she told me that she was anxious to die so that now she could go to be with Jesus. And she showed me a wedding band, she was wedded to Jesus. She wasn't afraid of dieing, she was looking forward to going to be with Jesus. Wow, talk about faith. I often wondered why Father Schneider of St. Therese church wasn't buried with his housekeeper. ( actually soul mate ) I think it was only proper. Incidentally, My wife and I rarely give each other a gift at Christmas.. I usually send a check to the church, and to the Orlando Rescue Mission. That is our gift to each other.////FROM JACK: What a great way to give a gift twice...once to your wife and, secondly, to the Mission.


No comments: