Monday, December 12, 2011

Winning Words 12/12/11
“When I pray, coincidences happen. When I don’t, they don’t.” (William Temple) In our home we have a little book in which we list unusual things that have happened in the life of our family. We call it “A Miracle or A Coincidence?” Before recording the incident, we try to decide between M and C. William Cowper wrote a hymn line: “God moves in a mysterious way, his wonders to perform.” ;-) Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: I call them God-cidents.////FROM JACK: I think that God is more active in our lives than we give him credit for.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Prayers are wonderful tools and we fully believe in them. We've had a lot of miracles in our family. Coincidences we call "God touches". Both are wonderful and both are from God. I love the idea of a book. We will have to start one!////FROM JACK: Wondering...Are prayers supposed to get God to DO something, or to let him know about something, or just to let him know of our trust in him?////OJ: He knows all of that already. It's just our way of personally talking to Him. I think He knows what we need, when we need and how much we need way before we do. That is very comforting. He just loves us and wants to hear from us. That's simple but His love is simple. Simple and grand!////JACK: God has given us Free Will. Do you suppose he ever over-rides the gift?////OJ: Hm.....I guess He can do whatever He wants. To assume He wouldn't would be wrong but to assume He would would be wrong too. Far smarter people than I can't give you an answer so it will have to be one of those questions we ask Him when we get up there. Personally, there are a lot of times I wish He would have stopped free will...raptists, murderers, child abusers, etc etc. And I know I certainly would have benefited from someone stopping my selfish free will. But, when you really stop to think, free will is a true gift.////JACK: Have you ever wondered about the term, "Indian giver?"////OJ: I googled the term. Interesting. We actually gave them land and treaties and then took much of the lands back. But it was interesting to read the different information.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Some Coincidences are Miracles some of the time, some Coincidences are Miracles all of the time but all Miracles are Miracles all of the time. Abe Zukerman////FROM JACK: A miracle is a coincidence in the eye of the beholder, and vice versa.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: He knows all of that already. It's just our way of personally talking to Him. I think He knows what we need, when we need and how much we need way before we do. That is very comforting. He just loves us and wants to hear from us. That's simple but His love is simple. Simple and grand!////FROM JACK: God has given us Free Will. Do you suppose he ever over-rides the gift?

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: so how many entries are in your book?////FROM JACK: Mary's the keeper of the book. As far as I can remember, there are over a dozen entries.

FROM PRCH ON CAPE COD: Greetings! Coincidence vs. Miracle… or perhaps subtleties in between… I think of times like yesterday when I had the girls helping me put the Christmas lights on the fence. There were some bulbs that had burned out… I asked the girls to find them... (though I already knew where they were) They kindly and enthusiastically went about the task – and that was the point – that I wanted us to do it together. But I wasn’t going to spoil the little “I found one!” moment.s. Perhaps God sometimes is involved in a subtle way – we don’t recognize a miracle; we may think it’s our doing or a coincidence… But God may have set up an opportunity, left a footprint etc. And we are left wondering, miracle? Coincidence? Mystery? Advent blessings////FROM JACK: I think that God sometimes has fun with us, like an ordinary father.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: What an interesting idea...have M's or C's predominated?! We've had a few answers to prayer that involve healing, which we consider miracles. Some folks don't believe in "coincidences"; everything happens for a reason. I think God can use whatever happens to us, in directing our lives, and like you, I don't think we are always aware when God IS at work in our lives. T rust and Obey... It is easier to look back and "see", how God worked, than it is to see the path forward!////FROM JACK: There's nothing wrong with coincidences. Some things are a matter of chance. I would like to believe that God is more involved in our life than we think he is. In the book, a choice is not made between the incidents, and we are left to wonder...M or C?

FROM THE OUTHOUSE: Hm.....I guess He can do whatever He wants. To assume He wouldn't would be wrong but to assume He would would be wrong too. Far smarter people than I can't give you an answer so it will have to be one of those questions we ask Him when we get up there. Personally, there are a lot of times I wish He would have stopped free will...raptists, murderers, child abusers, etc etc. And I know I certainly would have benefited from someone stopping my selfish free will. But, when you really stop to think, free will is a true gift. ////FROM JACK: Have you ever wondered about the term, "Indian giver?"

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: pretty cool. we too have some family stories to tell that are nothing short of amazing. some time when i have more time... ////FROM JACK: "If (we) could put time in a bottle..."

No comments: