Monday, November 07, 2011

Winning Words 11/7/11
“I had been taught all my life how to die, but no one ever taught me how to grow old.” (Billy Graham) Today is BG’s 93rd birthday. The famous evangelist is now frail and sees eternal life coming closer. He knows how to die, but growing old has been a problem. What are the signs? Debilitating illness? The death of peers? No meaningful work to do? Is there a secret to growing old, gracefully? ;-) Jack

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: the church I belong to has quite a few older people in it. They are teaching me how to grow old. Also the older people who gather with us each Saturday at a worship service at a nearby assisted living are setting an example for me how to grow old. They have been able to form a new community at ages 70's, 80's, 90's and I am truly impressed with their resilience and adaptability to their new situation. I'm amazed Billy Graham could say this. He should come be with us and we'll all learn from each other a thing or two.////FROM JACK: It sounds like you're a whipper-snapper. BTW, what is a whipper-snapper? (PAUSE) I looked it up. You're not a whipper-snapper; you're just younger than some of the people you associate with and who send you Winning Words.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: I think that you've found it and thanks for teaching the rest of us closely following your example.////FROM JACK: As the song goes in "My Fair Lady"....With a little bit of luck, (I'm) movin' up. With a little bit...with a little bit... With a little bit of bloomin luck!


FROM SON DAVID IN MINNESOTA: "You don't stop playing because you get old... You get old because you stop playing." (Roy Hobbs)////FROM JACK: I was still "playing" when I was your age. However, if was slo-pitch softball, not the fast-pitch hardball that you play.


FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: If there is a secret to growing old gracefully, you have discovered it, Jack. Your Winning Words are an encouragement to hundreds of people every day. What a gift you are to us!////FROM JACK: Too kind! I really write for myself, and then share with you and others.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: It seems you’ve already discovered that…I have no idea your age but gracefully actively enjoying those years seems to be something you and Mary are blessed to embody. I know my mom has had much sadness as friends have gone to their rest but now she has younger friends in the 70s with similar interests and concerns. She too, is blessed with robust health.////FROM JACK: Do you ever look in the mirror and say, "I'm becoming my mom?" I do. Maybe it has to do with the genes.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: In fact, Billy Graham's latest book is about the challenges of growing old, and it's a good read. I think YOU have found the secret of growing old graciously! I am blessed with good health and energy, and a reasonably sharp mind, which makes it infinitely easier to have a meaningful old age. So thankful! (Quote for the hip and knee-challenged:"He who limps is still walking." Stanislaw Lec, poet) We do have to bear the losses of loved ones, and the 'slowing-down" process. Every age and stage has its compensations and challenges! OLE, for Billy Graham's long life. (and ours)////FROM JACK: I like the Lec quote. My knee replacement has enabled me to walk without a limp. BTW, have you ever tasted limpa bread?

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I'm trying to figure that out myself!////FROM JACK: You'll probably still be trying to figure it out when you get to be Billy's age.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: What a wonderful individual he is. I wish the whole world could be like him.////FROM JACK: A whole world of preachers? Who would sit in the pews?

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I imagine getting older is much the same as every other phase of life-- you handle what you need to handle when you need to handle it. "Handling stuff" starts early, not in old age. Playground scuffles, dating, college, first job, subsequent jobs, marriage, kids, divorce (?), empty nest, grandparenting, widow/widower-hood... and all the other trials (and joys!) of life. By old age, we're pretty experienced at handling stuff. Most of you would say there is a book to help you get thru all these phases, the Bible... ////FROM JACK: That for a very "wise" answer.

FROM CS IN MICHIGAN: Growing old seems sort of easy compared to dying. Growing old is hard, but dying is so scary. Maybe we learn how to die as we grow older?////FROM JACK: It may sound gruesome, but we begin to die as soon as we're born. A friend of mine, whose wife died of cancer several years ago, can't wait to die in order to be with her. Each letter I get from him (he doesn't do e-mail) has a note saying that he's pushing-87. He been using that "pushing" phrase for several years now. His "dying" is taking longer than he expected, or wished. We paddle our own canoe. Here's to your good health!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Growing old gracefully is a goal few manage to attain. It's a goal none-the-less and a good one to try to obtain. Knowing our true goal is one the "other side" and is obtainable is our saving grace.
////FROM JACK: Billy G knows that, but I think that his physical limitations are behind his lament about growing old. "Darling, I am growing old, Silver threads among the gold, Shine upon my brow today, Life is fading fast away; But, my darling, you will be, will be, Always young and fair to me, Yes, my darling, you will be, Always young and fair to me. Darling, I am growing, growing old, Silver threads among the gold, Shine upon my brow today, Life is fading fast away." ////MORE FROM THE OUTHOUSE: We would sing that song around the campfire in Girl Scouts. My mom was our leader and even though she really couldn't sing very well, she still loved those old songs. So us kids learned them too. I remember that well! Mitch Miller songs were beloved by the family too..in fact, I still have some CD's from Mitch Miller. (The albums were replaced by CD's for me a few years ago.)


FROM IKE AT THE MIC: I know I am going to die..I just don't want to be there when it happens.. ////FROM JACK: So you're going to have an "out of body" experience.////MORE FROM IKE: You're right! & a profound response because it also addresses the original question you posed :Is there a secret to growing older gracefully ? I don't think there is one "secret" but I believe there is a "strategy" that by adjusting to our aging bodies with an "optimistic" mindset we can age gracefully.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: to be young at heart and to keep on giving and learning.////FROM JACK: Are you still taking those college courses....for credit?////MORE FROM TAMPA: I did that for 12 years and am trying out our new senior center in the neighborhood. So far I am trying to learn Spanish, sampling the Japanese culture and language ( where green tea and goods from the Japanese store are served), trying out the book club(the two choices so fare have been disappointing), and attending the travelogue once a month. The center also has exercise classes and the men play dominoes. The people make it so interesting. In the Japanese class, we have Spanish and English people learning the Japanese words.In the Spanish class are people from Trinidad, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, etc. When we first moved here in l963 our neighbors were from the South and the Midwest.

FROM MOLINER JT: Yes--BELIEVE !!////FROM JACK: Mrs Tillberg taught us this song: "Only believe. Only believe. All things are possible. Only believe."


















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the church I belong to has quite a few older people in it. They are teaching me how to grow old. Also the older people who gather with us each Saturday at a worship service at a nearby assisted living are setting an example for me how to grow old. They have been able to form a new community at ages 70's, 80's, 90's and I am truly impressed with their resilience and adaptability to their new situation. I'm amazed Billy Graham could say this. He should come be with us and we'll all learn from each other a thing or two.
S.H. in MI