Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Winning Words 11/2/11
“The future’s so bright, I gotta wear my shades.” (Timbuk3) I must confess that Timbuk3 isn’t on my list of favorite musical groups. But I do like the optimistic tone of their song about the future. Look around your world today and give thanks for some of the bright things you see. Sing some happy songs. Put on a happy face…and you Timbuk3 fans, don’t forget the shades. ;-) Jack

FROM ER NURSE: Really nice poem. Makes you think...
It was written by a terminally ill young girl in a
New York Hospital. It was sent by a medical doctor -
SLOW DANCE
Have you ever
watched
kids
On a merry-go-round?
Or listened to
the
rain
Slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a
butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the
fading
night?
You better slow down.
Don't
dance so
fast.
Time is short.
The music
won't
last.
Do you run through each day
On
the
fly?
When you ask How are you?
Do you hear
the
reply?
When the day is done
Do you lie
in your
bed
With the next hundred chores
Running through
your head?
You'd better
slow down
Don't dance so
fast.
Time is
short.
The music won't
last.
Ever told your
child,
We'll do it
tomorrow?
And in your
haste,
Not see
his
sorrow?
Ever lost
touch,
Let a good
friendship die
Cause you
never had time
To call
and say,'Hi'
You'd
better slow down.
Don't dance
so fast.
Time
is short.
The music won't
last..
When you run
so fast to get somewhere
You
miss half the fun of getting
there.
When you worry and hurry
through your
day,
It is like an unopened
gift....
Thrown
away.
Life is not a
race.
Do take it
slower
Hear the
music
Before the song is
over.
FROM JACK: It certainly seems to fit with today's Winning Words.

FROM DM IN MICHIGAN: YEAH! Love this one. Have it on the Red Cross t-shirt I got as a chaperon in a youth volunteer Leadership Camp:-)////FROM JACK: That's a good slogan for leaders to have, and you are a good one to wear it for all to see.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: Wonderfully optimistic words. I've never heard of Timbuk3 but I will look them up and listen to one of their songs.////FROM JACK: I asked a 50-year-old if he knew of Timbuk3. Of course he did. Does that tell you something?

FROM PASTY PAT: It's official...I'm a dinosaur...I've never even heard of Timbuk3!///FROM JACK: That song was popular in the 80's--not the 1880's. The message is still a good one.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Timbuk3 is an unknown entity to me. Imagine my kids and some g.kids would be conversant with that group: but I do know the saying, and have used it, and heard others use it. Especially at graduation time. The optimism buoys one up!! Dean Smith (former college BB coach) said, "If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot!" :-) Relax, and show a bit of optimism. It's catching!!////FROM JACK: Winning Words can be a way for me to let people know that there's more to the music world than Kate Smith and Lawrence Welk. The message is the important thing. A seminary prof once said: "A hymn should appeal more to the heart than to the foot." It's not bad for a hymn to appeal to both.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: I think u might like ZZ Top's music a little better... I know they have that line in one of their songs...////FROM JACK: ZZ Top pre-dated Timbuk3 (I think), so maybe they have the "right" to the line. Every generation seems to have had it's share of songs with an optimistic outlook. "Look for the silver lining" and "Let a smile be your umbrella on a rainy, rainy day" are just a couple of examples.////FROM KNEELING LG: You know me, Jack--I am a true optimist! I was on my knees this morning thanking the Father for all the blessings He's poured into the lives of me and my family...even though our furnace went belly-up yesterday and must be replaced! I have every confidence our loving Father will provide for our every need--one way or another--and will bless many through our trials! I know you have this joy in your soul, too, Jack! "Do not be dejected or sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength" (Nehemiah 8:10)--one of my favorites! I have learned, "no joy" = "no strength"! So, in all circumstances I try to remember gratitude...then my joy returns. Thanks for your commitment to bring sunshine to our lives every morning! : )////FROM JACK: Be thankful that your aging furnace didn't give up the ghost in mid-winter.

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I liked that lyric too and then there was the other song, I Wear My Sunglasses At Night…I saw that on the el recently; cracked me up.////FROM JACK: " Sunglasses at night" is followed by: "so I can spy on my girl friend." So, that's why you see many celebs wearing shades...not to be noticed, or to be noticed?

FROM JK IN LA: I like the words today! Anything with musical overtones is always good for me Jack! Going to LA tomorrow to work with a Grammy and Oscar winning songwriter and producer. He has had major Hits with Whitney Houston, Barbara Streisand and many others. I'm pretty excited about this one!////FROM JACK: Keep chasing your dream. Susan Boyle hit it BIG at age 48, by singing, "I Dreamed a Dream!"









No comments: