Thursday, November 17, 2011

Winning Words 11/17/11
“You can do anything, but not everything.” (David Allen) By age 35, Allen had experienced 35 professions, including, being a magician, a U-Haul dealer and a minister. He’s most famous for teaching time management courses. Today’s “thought’ is from one of his books. When I have many things to do, I find it helpful to make a list and cross off the items, one at a time, as they are done. What do you do? ;-) Jack

FROM MY ATTORNEY: Why are you up so early? Go back to sleep!////FROM JACK: I'm up every morning by 5 am, so that people like you can receive a "Winning" Word to inspire you for the day. "You can do anything today!"

FROM RB IN MICHIGAN: This is exactly what I do!////FROM JACK: #1 Read Winning Words. #2 Try to follow them.

FROM PRJM IN MICHIGAN: For some reason I had to go to your blog for today's words because they didn't show up in my email. Weird. Like you, I am a list-maker. That is one of the reasons my planner bulges with slips of paper and why I don't use an electronic planner. I think an electronic one would blow a gasket (if it had a gasket) with my incessant "stuffing" it with notes and lists. If I used an electronic list, however, there is less chance I would leave the list at home. :-(////FROM JACK: I had internet access problems today and a few people (like you) didn't get the 5 am message. One of these days I'm going to give up on the little red appointment book and go hi-tech.

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: True, true! Prioritize.////FROM JACK: Decisions, decisions!

FROM A MICHIGAN ALUM: i like that one.////FROM JACK: Go Blue!

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: same, same - but now i have 3 cards with to-dos - too much////FROM JACK: I know it's difficult, sometimes, but prioritize those cards.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My husband makes lists...lots and lots of lists. I just do one thing at a time and usually get it all done most of the time.////FROM JACK: As "they" say...."Whatever floats your boat!"

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Making lists is also what I do. In fact I may have a couple lists going at one time, organizing the different tasks I am trying to accomplish. It is fun to cross things off! ////FROM JACK: I have fun making my lists, because I view that as the first step toward getting things done.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: I couldn't function without my lists!////FROM JACK: I guess that you'll never have that listless feeling.////MORE FROM LIST-LIZ: I did one time, when I left my list at home...

FROM MISS PEGGY: Yes, I make a list and cross things off. Have a great day. :)////FROM JACK: My list ..... # 1: Send out Winning Words. # 2: Begin answering responses. You're number ten.

FROM WATERFORD JAN: Not only do I make a list and cross off completed items, I add to the list anything extra that I do so I can cross those off, also! I often refer to your Winning Words of some months ago "You can't do everything at once, but you can do something at once." (Calvin Coolidge) ////FROM JACK: The Coolidge quote must have been on your list of things to remember. It wasn't on mine. Thanks for the reminder.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: That's scary. I make lists too! ////FROM JACK: People from Moline and East Moline are more alike than one would think.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I don't waste my time making lists. Maybe that's why I don't get anything done. Hmmm.////FROM JACK: What's important is that the job gets done....no matter what tools are used

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: I also make a list but try to list them in a priority order so that those that dont get done are usually dropped////FROM JACK: Like the quote says..."..and not everything."

FROM FM IN WISCONSIN: I too am a list maker . . . and one who senses progress by crossing off items on my daily, weekly list.////FROM JACK: Some who try to do "everything" become frustrated with undone jobs. I just make a new list.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Many studies in the past 75 years have shown it takes about 10,000 practice hours to become an expert at most anything. The Beatles were great in part because of 8 years of playing 50 hours a week in Hamburg Strip clubs (so I have read). 10,000 hours is about 5 years fulltime or 10 years of sincere part time work. 35 careers in 35 years I guess makes Allen a job change expert. I have not heard of David Allen. I'd probably source Brian Tracy for this kind of information. Cross it off the list is good, especially if you remember to make the list....////FROM JACK: David Allen runs with the Earl Nightengale, Zig Zigler crowd. "How to get things done How to sell things, etc. Motivational stuff.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: A list is a good thing and also the telephone to call repairmen comes in handy. ////FROM JACK: Two repair calls this a.m., because my modem was acting up. One call this afternoon, because one of the TVs wouldn't work. All problems solved w/o a repair truck in the driveway.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Excellent thought! My husband was a Football Player, teacher, coach, Sears Men's wear Manager, Insurance Salesman, & Heavy Construction Engineer, before he went to Seminary to become a Pastor. All of these experiences helped him in the pastorate! He made a tape of the next day's events and appointments, and played it as he traveled from place to place in his car. I note things on my wall calendar.
Then I hope I'll LOOK at !!

FROM DP IN MINNESOTA: I'm a list maker, too, esp. since I get to do everything without my help mate! ////FROM JACK: I should make a list of all the list makers.







No comments: