Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Winning Words 11/1/11
“Facts are stubborn things.” (John Adams) Last Tuesday someone gave me today’s quote, saying, “I think it’s from John Adams.” He was right. Adams said it as he defended the soldiers accused in the 1770 Boston Massacre. For those of you who can’t remember history lessons, it’s worth checking out. I was recently challenged to define “facts.” Maybe if I read more of John Adams….. ;-) Jack

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: John Adams and those revolutionaries had some pretty good things to say...////FROM JACK: How about this quote from John? "I must not write a word to you about politics, because you are a woman."////LIZ ASKS: In what context? In reference to his wife's not approving of his writing to another lady? Or because his own conscience wouldn't allow it? Context is everything...////FROM JACK: That's what I say when people quote Bible verses. "What's the context." I picked that Adams' quote just for you.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Knew you'd hear from me, didn't you? Here we have non-existent "facts"....totally undefinable....existing once again! This time as so real as to be stubborn.////FROM JACK: One man's "fact," is another man's "fiction." Who was it that postulated that the world and our life is not real?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: Or you could watch the DVD of the John Adams PBS production. It is quite long but full of facts. It is interesting to see how facts are you in history classes these days. I like to read the textbooks used these days compared to when I was in the classroom.////FROM JACK: Beard's book on Basic American History is in a pile beside my chair. I'm going to have to dust it off and see what's said about the 1770 event.

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: They are indeed.////FROM JACK: Cagey Einstein wrote: "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: Mark Twain says, "Get your facts, first. Then you can distort them as much as you please." I'd guess this is done with some regularity, right now, by those running for office, or sitting in congress. (To name just a few...) John Adams was a hard and stubborn man, according to his biographer, David McCullogh, but a man of integrity. He did not suffer fools! I wish we had a few leaders like him today! ////FROM JACK: We are all complex individuals. Adams seems complex-ier.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Facts change. 150 years ago man could not fly. But, then again, maybe we just weren't aware of the fact. Is that a fact?////FROM JACK: Man's interpretation of "facts" is what changes. And, that's a fact!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I believe the enter quote is “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
The better part of wisdom (and arguably the toughest part) is being objective enough to know the difference between the evidence and what our wishes, inclinations, and passion might prefer.////FROM JACK: I'm amazed that you can remember your history lesson from so long ago. Objectivity is a difficult task in a variety of situations.






1 comment:

T.S. said...

They are indeed.