Thursday, November 10, 2011

Winning Words 11/10/11
“Jesus Saves!” (Suggested by a WWs reader) I remember this slogan from Sunday School days. What’s it mean? As a Christian, I know about Jesus. But what about the non-Christian? If “saves” means “rescues,” the n-C might ask, “From what?” Religious beliefs must be more than bunper-sticker slogans. Someone recently asked me about the meaning of All Saints’ Day. We should have talked more. ;-) Jack.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: My dad saw this hand-painted sign at a junkyard in the south. “Don’t talk so much. Keep your mouth close. And bowel open. And believe in Jesus.”

FROM JK IN MICHIGAN: Thank You for your call back to the basics. These days there seem to be so many distractions or flat out deceptions...////FROM JACK: Burl Ives used to sing: "Watch the do-nut and not the hole." Decide what's most important in life and focus on that.

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: All Saints Day is the day after the real Church was born.....////FROM JACK: G-d is in charge of keeping the membership list up to date.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I saw a cartoon of a bumper sticker: 'Jesus Saves--at First National Bank….' To the point, the purpose of bumper stickers is to start conversation or a call to action.////FROM JACK: I'd be interested to know what kinds of responses the bank got...positive and negative. You're right. It gets the conversation going, and that's what is important.

FROM HR IN MICHIGAN: I remember my Father telling me a story about a billboard that had JESUS SAVES as its message and someone had written “green stamps” under it. I remember green stamps, my mother saved them in little books and took them to a redemption center for gifts. I helped her put the stamps in the books. Anyway this happened 50 years ago. I am not sure whether my father thought the graffiti to be funny, clever or inappropriate, but whenever I see the phrase Jesus Saves I think of my father and his billboard and I say under my breath green stamps.////FROM JACK: "Redemption Center" certainly has a connection with "saves." Redemption has to do with salvation. Incidentally, when I came to West Bloomfield to start a new church, one of the proposed names was "Redemption Lutheran Church." I thought that it could be a confusing name, so "Holy Spirit Church" was chosen instead.

FROM JACK: A song that I remember hearing on the radio:
We have heard the joyful sound: Jesus saves! Jesus saves!
Spread the tidings all around: Jesus saves! Jesus saves!
Bear the news to every land, climb the mountains, cross the waves;
Onward! ’tis our Lord’s command; Jesus saves! Jesus saves!

FROM DMF IN MINNESOTA: I saw a picture of Jesus with a hockey goalie mask on his head. He saves!////FROM JACK: He was probably playing against The Devils.

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: I don't think the N-C thinks about it any more than C's think about N-C beliefs.
////FROM JACK: Pontius Pilate asked of Jesus, "What is truth?" In my "business," I've had conversation with non-believers who were seekers. I guess, in the long run, we are like St. Paul. "I believe; help my unbelief."

FROM BLAZING OAKS: My hubby Bill once took that phrase and added to it: "Jesus Saves! Marilyn spends!" HA! I did tend to be a big spender in the eyes of frugal Bill. We were a good balance, and he certainly knew how JESUS SAVES and could preach it! And he was very generous to the needy and poor, where it counted. One of his legacies to our family, who try to follow in his footsteps...Jesus does Save! that's why we SPEND our lives in his service!////FROM JACK: Did he develop his sense of humor before, or after, he married you?





No comments: