Thursday, October 27, 2011

Winning Words 10/27/11
“All of us, at certain moments of our lives, need to take advice and receive help from other people.” (Alexis Carrel) I don’t know about you, but I’m not one to ask for help or advice. Maybe it’s because I’ve been in “giving” business so long. But, as A.C. says, “certain moments” come along. Upon reflection, there’ve been friends who have advised and helped me, and I’m grateful for them. How about you? ;-) Jack

FROM BF IN MICHIGAN: I'm grateful for your friendship!////FROM JACK: Back atcha! It takes one to be one.

FROM PEPPERMINT MARY: "i get by with a little help from my friends". i wouldn't be here without them. that i am sure of!////FROM JACK: The Beatles' music is more than music.////MORE PEPPERMINT: Prophets come in all forms and all generations!

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: Yes......and you (and Mary) are on that list......thank you.////FROM JACK: "For good times and bad times...That's what friends are for." Don't you like that Dionne Warwick song?////MORE FROM B'MORE: I think that, like a good dog , we can "sniff out" friend from ,not foe, but indifferent and/or phoney.

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: Many friends who have advised me and helped me. You are one of them and I am grateful. :)////FROM JACK: I just discovered that the MSU fight song was created in 1915, and used the music of the hymn, "Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus." I came across this question recently. " Would Jesus play football? Would Jesus be a football fan?" Based on their fight song, he might be a fan of the Spartans. But, then again, Heaven is called, "The Big House."

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I agree and it happened very recently!////FROM JACK: Life is a series of moments. It appears as though you've had some good ones.

FROM YOOPER FLICKA: VERY TRUE.////FROM JACK: Truth is in the eye of the beholder. Your eyes have seen the glory of that.

FROM MT IN PENNSYLVANIA: Absolutely! It was hard for me to learn to ask for help, but I'm glad that I did.
////FROM JACK: Why is that? St. Paul wrote, "The good that I would, I do not."////MORE FROM MT: I have always been happy to help, but for a long time I never thought to ask for help. Just shouldered the burden and carried on. I think it may a pretty common pattern... (stoicism?)////FROM JACK: Stoicism! That's the word.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: My true friends have helped me many times with advice and help. I'm not sure where I would be without them. Even some not-so-friendly people have guided me along the path. Advice is always there if we are willing to listen. Sometimes it's not so easy to receive help, I agree with you there. ////FROM JACK: Someone once said that "advice is like soap. It's no good unless you use it." Your use of the term, "not-so-friendly people," causes me to ponder...What is it that makes someone--not-so-friendly? Is it just the opposite of being friendly? And, why are we like we are?////JUDY CLARIFIES: I'm sure you have been given advice from someone who is angry with what you have done or plan to do. Committees sometimes have people who are against what you are for....and political parties are another example. Sometimes people have different opinions and are not able to listen to your opinion without anger. I'm sure you know what I mean. They aren't friendly when they talk to you about however you differ. Not quite so friendly but friends none-the-less. We are different because we have been given freewill. Created and planned by our Creator that way.////FROM JACK: What a strange world this weould be, if we all agreed with one another. Sometimes we even disagree with God.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: I could put together a pretty long list of people who helped me get to where I am today...not that I'm some super achiever...but I feel very fortunate the way my life has progressed.////FROM JACK: If thought were given, I believe that each of us could come with a list ...longer than we could have imagined. You're on my list.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: What are friends for? I not only ask for help and advice, I happily give it.////FROM JACK: It's like a balancing act...when to ask for advice/help...when to give it. Err on the side of caring about the other person.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: what I struggle with is having the advice and help be spot on, both giving and receiving. Sometimes I'm more like one of Job's friends and sometimes I have friends who are more like Job's friends. Sometimes I'm busy trying to give the help/gift to someone that "I think they need" rather than how they see their needs and sometimes I get help/gifts like that too. Sometimes it's hard to know who is being a friend and who is being an enemy of my "inner person." Maybe that's why it's taking me so long to accept--have been hurt sometimes when I ask and the person insists on giving something other than what I asked for--like they know better or something. Enjoyed the WW and reading all of the blog. Poor people especially need to have people give to them things they need and not from someone else's perspective on their lives, which can be punitive instead of generous. Jesus was the Master at giving and receiving. Love it when we humans can follow even just a bit, keeps me hoping.////FROM JACK: You'll never go wrong by offering love and concern. "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you took me into your home. I needed clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I always appreciate any help - especially with housework and with electronic stuff. Otherwise, I prefer to be independent and helpful for the most part. By the way, yesterday we went to se Festival of Lights celebration at a friend's house in St. Pete. What wonderful thing they celebration-the triumph of good over evil. It was like a United Nations party. Your weather must be beautiful up there. Susie and Jeannie were born at Mercy Hospital in Ann Arbor 49 years ago today. The arrival of twins was very exciting, to say the least. How these years have flown by.////FROM JACK: I tried to find out more about the Festival of Lights, but what I came up with was a Halloween Celebration...Field of Screams. Now, that must be scary! Our weather here is rainy, but comfortable. DST will soon end...and then, winter. A lot of the snow birds have flown south...many to Florida.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what I struggle with is having the advice and help be spot on, both giving and receiving. Sometimes I'm more like one of Job's friends and sometimes I have friends who are more like Job's friends. Sometimes I'm busy trying to give the help/gift to someone that "I think they need" rather than how they see their needs and sometimes I get help/gifts like that too. Sometimes it's hard to know who is being a friend and who is being an enemy of my "inner person." Maybe that's why it's taking me so long to accept--have been hurt sometimes when I ask and the person insists on giving something other than what I asked for--like they know better or something. Enjoyed the WW and reading all of the blog. Poor people especially need to have people give to them things they need and not from someone else's perspective on their lives, which can be punitive instead of generous. Jesus was the Master at giving and receiving. Love it when we humans can follow even just a bit, keeps me hoping.
S.H. in MI