Friday, October 14, 2011

Winning Words 10/14/11
“Only by tasting from the smörgåsbord of knowledge, past and present, can we begin to satisfy our appetite for learning.” (Howard Hopkins) This is one quote that is printed on the menus of “Food for Thought,” a restaurant in Williamsburg, VA. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to attend a liberal arts college. One of my “best” classes was American Ideals, where I learned to appreciate what has made out country great. Have you had a favorite learning experience? ;-) Jack

FROM JS IN MICHIGAN: I'll have some potatiskorv from that smorgasbord....////FROM JACK: Yes, I like baloney, especially the potato kind. I also like köttbullar (not the sound), but I'll pass on the sill and the lutefisk.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: One of my best learning experiences, with the exception of raising five wonderful children, was the Ford Foundation for the Enrichment of Teachers. We were allowed the freedom to choose how we wanted to enrich ourselves. I chose graduate study at Columbia U, taking courses in US History, Constitutional History, Russian History, and Chinese History, two months as an intern for Senator Paul Douglas in Washington, D.C. , and then traveling for five months in Europe.////FROM JACK: It appears that you made several trips to the smörgåsbord table, and your children (and your students) benefitted because of it. Today's Congress could also benefit from senators of the stature of Paul Douglas.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE: Studying Peter Drucker's books. I would outline and one of his books every morning at breakfast before going to work. It probably sounds stuffy, but I enjoyed reading the Bible every morning, to start my day out right.////FROM JACK: Not stuffy at all...what a great way to start a new day!

FROM CWR IN B'MORE: ......yes,from what I'm doing right now as a Volunteer Chaplain in a healthcare Clinic for the "working" uninsured poor in the second highest crime area in the City of Baltimore. I have some "neat" friends in low places. Cheers.............////FROM JACK: Whoever said, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," was WRONG! And, whoever "passes by on the other side," thinking that there is no value in the poor is WRONG! The poor and needy are Jesus in disguise.

FROM DS IN CALIFORNIA: One of MY favorite learning experiences was from this tall, lanky guy from my church ions ago. He showed me how a really nice guy treated others and a reverence for our creator that I didn't quite understand at the time.////FROM JACK: That time was one of my favorite learning experiences, as well.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: My best class was in 7th grade (I believe that was the grade) when Mr. York was teaching us about the science program and rockets and how they separated in space and especially because I had a crush on him. Wonderful personality, great teacher, so kind and so handsome. Very memorable. He made very interesting drawings on the blackboard. Learned how to be more of a woman but not a scientist except that went on to study psychology in college.////FROM JACK: My favorite teacher was Miss Erickson (6th Grade). She and her boy friend took the whole class for a bike ride. When they got married, she had to quit teaching, because no married women were allowed to teach. Years later the policy was changed, and she came back to teach. After she retired, I had a chance to visit her and say, "Thank you."

FROM WATERFORD ANNE: I, too, appreciate the value of my liberal arts education; more than ever. ////FROM JACK: Since you were educated in Noo Yawk, it was bound to be a "liberal" education.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My best class was in 7th grade (I believe that was the grade) when Mr. York was teaching us about the science program and rockets and how they separated in space and especially because I had a crush on him. Wonderful personality, great teacher, so kind and so handsome. Very memorable. He made very interesting drawings on the blackboard. Learned how to be more of a woman but not a scientist except that went on to study psychology in college.
S.H. in MI