Thursday, October 13, 2011

Winning Words 10/13/11
“The future ain’t what it used to be.” (Yogi Berra) I’m in the midst of reading a Yogi book. He once wrote, “I never said most of the things they said I said.” He has a way of telling it like it is and making it understandable. Take today’s WWs, for example. The world isn’t going to be like it was, so we might as well move from nostalgia to making plans for today and tomorrow. A new future is ahead. ;-) Jack

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: If God wanted you to see behind, he would have put eyes in the back of your head.////FROM JACK: God wanted us to see behind, so he gave us memories.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON: The thing is the future I was preparing for was not the future I got but actually took care of all needs and so, gradually, bit-by-bit, I've gotten used to the future being different than what I was imagining I wanted it to be and I make plans accordingly, having good manners and making good friends and not being too impressed by money. Thanks a million for the WW again today!!!!!////FROM JACK: The unknown future is what makes life exciting. If the outcome of last night's Tigers game had been known ahead of time, how many fans would have bothered to sit for 6 hours and be rained on? Most people I know are satisfied to wait in the dark for tomorrow.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: So great as we think the good old days were, I would never go back. Even though the future has some pain and sorrow, it will be filled with even MORE great memories and great times. Forward we go!////FROM JACK: Just as recall of the past relies on selective memory, so the future relies on selective anticipation. That's why I try to be optimistic as I look ahead.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: And it is very scary!!!////FROM JACK: There was much apprehension about the future during the days and years of the Civil War. During those scary time, John Whittier wrote:
I know not what the future hath Of marvel or surprise,
Assured alone that life and death God’s mercy underlies.
////GM AGAIN: I know--my fears are unfounded--but it still scares me!////FROM JACK: Do you remember in scary times as a child, or even as an adult, when we were comforted by holding the hand of a loved one? Do you remember the song by Lynn Anderson:
Put your hand in the hand of the man who stilled the water
Put your hand in the hand of the man who calmed the sea
Take a look at yourself and you can look at others differently
By puttin your hand in the hand of the man from Gallalee.

FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: Hey Jack: I forwarded today's WW to my husband. Thought u get a kick out of my husband's reply! : ) Have a great day, my friend!////AG's RESPONSE TO LG: LOL good stuff! When his wife asked him where he would like to be laid to rest , Stl or NY since he spent much time in both areas during his career he replied "surprise me!" ////FROM JACK: I think that there will be lots of surprises in the future ...especially after D-Day.

FROM ILLINOIS LIZ: Let's hope it's a better future, 'cause the way things are going...////FROM JACK: As I read the Bible and history books, there were some pretty grim futures staring people in the face. What amazes me is a hope was able to see them through...not a hope for a better future, but a hope in God as their friend, who would not abandon them. "Yea, though I walk through the valley(s) and the shadow(s) I will fear no evil, for thou art with me."














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing is the future I was preparing for was not the future I got but actually took care of all needs and so, gradually, bit-by-bit, I've gotten used to the future being different than what I was imagining I wanted it to be and I make plans accordingly, having good manners and making good friends and not being too impressed by money. Thanks a million for the WW again today!!!!!
S.H. in MI