Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Winning Words 9/20/11
“Baseball! If there’s a more beautiful word in the English language, I have yet to hear it.” (Tim Russert) Poet Robert Brand wrote a book, listing the 100 most beautiful English words. “Baseball” didn’t make the list, but a favorite of mine, “onomatopoeia,” did. Do you have a favorite? In spite of the poet, the Tiger fans in Detroit certainly would agree that “baseball” is a beautiful word. ;-) Jack

FROM TS IN MICHIGAN: The distances are PERFECT: 60 feet 6 inches; 90 feet between bases. Perfect! Every pitch, every ground ball is competitive. Any longer, any shorter, the game would be destroyed.////FROM JACK: And umpires are like Judge Judy. "The rulings are final." Except, now they're spoiling the perfect game with video replay rulings.////MORE TS: Ironic that you say that: Remember the perfect game last year that was spoiled because they didn't use replays?////FROM JACK: Players make errors. Umpires make errors. No game is truly perfect. Attorneys make errors. Judges make errors. Life's not perfect. I've got some Winning Words waiting in the wings that are "right" for this situation. I wrote a long diatribe last year after that about why I "hate" sports. Subjectivity ruins it. Umpires, judges, imperfect calls (or calls that aren't made) that ruin a game or competition. Balls, strikes, outs, catches, style points ...

FROM RS IN MICHIGAN: Eeeewwwwwww! I cannot stand baseball. I know it makes me practically un-American, but jeeeezzzze. Watching paint dry is more enticing. This is the first winning words that made me shake my head…yeah, I’m weird for sure!////FROM JACK: Didn't anyone ever take you out to the ball game and buy you some peanuts and Cracker-Jack?////MORE RS: Yes, love the treats, but I “don’t care if we (n)ever (go) back” to another game! I can get the goodies anywhere. I have joked that the good part of being divorced was that I never had to sit through another baseball game again. My ex-husband always asked to go to opening day for his birthday present.////FROM JACK: "And, sooooo, that's the rest of the story."

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Yes!////FROM JACK: Is "YES" your favorite word?

FROM ED IN ARIZONA: Speaking of the Detroit Tigers, their number one fan, my grandmother, turns 90 on Friday! Happy Birthday Grandma!////FROM JACK: If the Tigers were playing at home, Grandma could be throwing out the first ball. My mother (a Cubs fan) attended a Cubs game on her 81st birthday and was invited up to the radio booth during the game to be interviewed. Afterward, one of the announcers said, "She sure doesn't look like 81." Harry Carray, the other announcer replied, "She doesn't look 18, either." We always kidded her about that.

FROM JB IN WISCONSIN: I really liked Tim Russert. I rarely got to see his show, but read his book about his dad and through that just really liked him as a person. A couple of weeks ago when the Buffalo Bills won their game, I thought how pleased he would have been. ////FROM JACK: That's right. He grew up in Buffalo and was Bills' fan. I wonder if they get to watch football games in heaven?

FROM PLAIN FOLKS CHESTER: Friendship.////FROM JACK: Can Cubs and White Sox fans be friends?

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Have you read "Big Russ & Me" by Tim Russert? A beautiful story about a man and his son. You'd like it.////FROM JACK: Yes, I read it when it first came out. I'm also impressed with Luke, Tim's son, ...a chip off the old block.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL: I really don't have a very favorite word, but you know that my favorite team is the Rays. They are so exciting to watch and they are enjoying this run at the end so much.////FROM JACK: I miss the name, the Devil Rays....more combative. It would be like renaming the Tigers, the Pussycats.

FROM JB IN THE SHORES: You must know I loved this one! In fact, you are going to see this quote in my next newsletter. Thank you.////FROM JACK: I'll be looking for it. Meanwhile I'll be watching TV as the Tigers close out an exciting season. I did get to a few games at Comerica this year.



No comments: